Taking annual leave on-site, on-call, and general boundary issues with employer

Options

Comments

• SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2016 at 5:38PM
    Options
    As per replies above - this specific set of circumstances is unique, but every single time I want to take holiday it becomes a "Business Problem" that has to be resolved rather than a normal thing that happens. So the amount of times I've had holiday cancelled, or cancelled it myself, or agreed officially or unoffically to be"on call" are into the double digits.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have three mobiles, work, personal and one I pay for that I only use for work related stuff. I do not ever give my employer my personal mobile number.
    When I'm on leave the phone they have the number for, and the work phone I currently have go off and stay off. I do not justify this because when I'm on leave what I do and whether I'm contactable or not is none of their business.
    Time to just start saying no.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SillyOne
    Options
    Kynthia wrote: »
    You agreed the first time because you really need that particular day and your boss needed you that day and was prepared to cancel your leave. I'm guessing that isn't the case for every day so you say no to being on call anymore. Anytime they ask you to bon cll during leave say no and offer to cancel the leave if they can't do without you tgat day and ask when they can. This should break tge cycle.

Thanks, I know that rationally that's how it should work ("on call during leave say no") but in practicality at this place, if I'm off, it's open season as regards phone calls or ( precedented ) having to come into the office anyway, as there's things "only I" am able to deal with. It's not due to any knowledge-hoarding on my part (I'm very good at delegating!) but just lack of capaable people for urgent things that come up. I could just say "screw it" but that would shoot all of us in the foot due to lack of repeat business and I have a sense of responsibility to my colleagues.
  • SillyOne
    edited 2 October 2016 at 5:47PM
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    If you're on-call you're not on A/L, you need to make this clear. I suspect they see you as a doormat now, time to assert your self.

It's a grey area, because although "on call" I was working on personal stuff, not stuff for the company. Although I was interruptible at any time.

(Genuine Q, not trolling.) How can I "assert" myself (..as a female?..) without coming off as typical "female petulance" and/or aggressive?
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    SillyOne wrote: »
    It's a grey area, because although "on call" I was working on personal stuff, not stuff for the company. Although I was interruptible at any time.

(Genuine Q, not trolling.) How can I "assert" myself (..as a female?..) without coming off as typical "female petulance" and/or aggressive?

lots of book on amazon. Have a look.

But yeah, they are taking you for a fool at the moment it seems.
  • SillyOne
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    Your title is misleading. You didn't have to take it on site, you choose to.

Next time I would put in annual leave and just take it. If anything is mentioned prior to you going off then don't make excuses or make something up, just say you are on AL so you can't cover.

You also gave the number of the exam venue, so put yourself in that position.

Be assertive. But don't blame them for something you have told them you will do.

Thanks for your reply, I "had to" in the sense that the leave would be rescinded / not approved otherwise. This was the only way I could get it accepted. There's no option to "put in AL and just take it", it's always subject to manager approval and often they come back with "what's it for" (it is worthy?!) and/or is it cancel-able.
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    The first mistake is to explain why you want the leave.

If really pressed invent a reason why you cannot be available; sick relative, funeral, booked event, etc. If that keeps happening, or you are refused then it is time to look for another job.
  • SillyOne
    Options
    The first mistake is to explain why you want the leave.

If really pressed invent a reason why you cannot be available; sick relative, funeral, booked event, etc. If that keeps happening, or you are refused then it is time to look for another job.

Do they not need to know if it's a "non-movable" thing (e.g. as you say sick relative, funeral etc) rather than just "I need a break" or whatever? I've almost always been asked if it's crucial to take at this specific time or is movable.

Edited to add: I've bumped my booked leave for something "pre-booked" (i.e. specific deadline) for my reports on more than one occasion.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SillyOne wrote: »
    Do they not need to know if it's a "non-movable" thing.

Its nothing to do with them and goodness knows why you feel the need to be explaining yourself to them.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • SillyOne
    edited 2 October 2016 at 6:51PM
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    goodness knows why you feel the need to be explaining yourself to them.

Because "they" (management) are the ones that have to approve it, and time off is subject to managers' discretion - so you'd better have a good reason, or be prepared to have it "bumped" in favour of someone with a better reason.

The last actual holiday (away from home) I took was 7 years ago, then it was meant to be a week away and got called back after 2 days due to some crisis or other. I couldn't "remote" in due to limited amount of remote access equipment being given to others who had more worthier reasons. So now I don't bother going away!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure