Wonga

Options
124»

Comments

• A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Just checked out this Wonga flexi loan, borrow £500 for 3 months and pay £252 in interest OMG extortion shouldn't be allowed. :eek:
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A4445 wrote: »
    Just checked out this Wonga flexi loan, borrow £500 for 3 months and pay £252 in interest OMG extortion shouldn't be allowed. :eek:

Stupid is as stupid does!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    tykesi wrote: »
    Stupid is as stupid does!

or to put it another way

Desperate people go to desperate measures
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It would fall under the direct debit guarantee and when I had an issue I went to my bank and they stated that I needed to the Company in question to resolve the issue, Any charges and costs incurred from a lack of funds due to additional being taken by Wonga would be down to them to cover, A gesture of goodwill may also be on offer but if the previous applies ie:- Missed dd and a few charges of say £50.00 then chances are a gog would be nominal.

The rules do state it is your bank that should deal with it but in my case they had no clue about the direct debit guarantee and sent me away, I am going back around 5 years now so hopefully things have changed.

Direct Debit Guarantee
    Your rights
    Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry. The efficiency and security of Direct Debit is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
    The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit*.
    Direct Debit Guarantee
    The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
    If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
    If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
    If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
    You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.
    * The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.​

More info here :- https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/Howtocomplain.aspx
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    as pointed out earlier in the thread its not a direct debit
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    as pointed out earlier in the thread its not a direct debit

My bad for not reading in full so this is under The Payment Services Regulations 2009

Basically as follows then :-

Payment service provider’s liability for unauthorised payment transactions
    61.!!Subject to regulations 59 and 60, where an executed payment transaction was not authorised in accordance with regulation 55, the payment service provider must immediately—
    (a)
    refund the amount of the unauthorised payment transaction to the payer; and
    (b)
    where applicable, restore the debited payment account to the state it would have been in had the unauthorised payment transaction not taken place.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/209/contents/made
  • Jassers
    Jassers Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The bank later confirmed what I KNEW - they could not stop the payment going out and it was up to Wonga to sort out!!
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are not a very good bank then. Whilst they are technically correct that they cannot stop the payment going out, they are legally obliged to reimburse for unauthorised payments. At the very least they should have looked sympathetically on a customer who was unable to pay his Direct Debits as a result of an unauthorised transaction.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    He would have had 2 pending earmarks on his account, or an earmark for a wrong amount.

Neither of which can be disputed or refunded until the transaction actually completes and debits the account.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure