Free-ish days out

Options
I'm surprised that on a money saving forum there aren't more comments on really cheap days out.

Yesterday we took a bus out of town, met up with some friends, and went swimming in a river. Over and above the sandwiches we bought from home, total cost for my three member family was £6.50. A really enjoyable day out with all the wildlife, both in and out of the water, around.

Surely a lot of people must do things like rambling, birdwatching, etc. which cost next to nothing?

Comments

• shlozzy_2
    Options
    Do this often and love it - Get to a local viewspot (beach/forest, etc) and take the family and just walk and chill out. It can be just the price of a car ride and you spend at least 3 hours. Take sarnies and just enjoy the day.
    Recently went to tynemouth and there were 5 of us (making the most of one car). We stopped in to see local attractions, beach and St.Gearges Church - This was because it was a Heritage day - So the attractions on them were free. even though some do not open to the public, but will for that day only.
    You will have o searchg for their next days and keep informed. But usually the kids love it and the older ones like to chill, relax and saunter around. Even in the rain it is fun!
    http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/

I even took the kids to the seaside and let them walk on the beach looking at pebbles, etc. Remember some kids just sit infront of their PC, so these kids loved it.
    Anyone else with suggestions?
    Thanx RH for starting this off....
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're out walking, then consider something more adventurous than sarnies. I quite like doing a "picnic lunch" with all kinds of food. We do (vegetarian) sausage rolls, couscous 'n vegetables, pasta, onion bhajis, fresh salad, all sorts of things. Quite a lot of these things are very cheap to make, and it really adds something to they day out over sandwiches IMHO.

And as for children liking the simpler things, today my son has been begging to go back to the river every weekend. Not practical, but clearly he enjoyed it.

Of course, shlozzy or anyone might do really fabulous sarnies, so I might be wrong there :)
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I used to 'walk the legs off my children' when they were younger.

Most parts of the country have local ranger services - check them out (on-line if you can) for great ideas for days out and things to do in the school holidays. Where I am (Merseyside/Liverpool) they do all kinds of stuff to keep kids occupied and safe in the holidays - from pond-dipping to kite-making. Some of the sessions may cost a token amount to cover expenses - but the majority are completely free. Around this time of year, there are 'bat-watches'. Our 'local stately home' (Croxteth Hall, Park and Gardens) hosts many events throughout the year - including spooky events around Halloween - and Christmas themed stuff in December. If you have a similar sort of place near where you live - it's worth checking them out as well.

Also worth remembering that old and disused railway lines are often turned into 'cyclepaths' and are wonderfully safe for families to travel along - again check out your local authority ranger services.
  • dianadors
    Options
    I found this website:
    http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/index.htm

It has dozens of fantastic walks within a short drive from where we live. It also has information about the places where you pass through too. We have been doing a different walk everytime we drive out to the peak district and have discovered places and things we never knew existed. We always pack a picnic and take the camera. We have had some brilliant "free" days out using the walks. We have discovered rivers that are safe for swimming in. Campsites that exist but are not advertised etc. We go camping as a family and are quite used to "making our own fun". I realise not everyone can do this though and some people do need shops and cafe's to be entertained - but not us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure