PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

When did Dinner plates become so big?!

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks so.
    I'm not sure of the size, but they are standard size apparently!

I normally use pasta bowls, they are shallow bowls, kind of like between a small plate and a bowl.
    That is perfect for me.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Slowly57 wrote: »
    I think huge plates encourage waste rather than overeating. And delude folks into thinking that they are chefs lol!

1930s plates here (and a serving dish so folks can help themselves to spuds/veg) - left-overs are easy to save - and makes any grub look a bit more glam :)

I agree about them encouraging waste, I can't imagine anyone being able to eat a plate worth of food if the plate is that big.
    However, i do think it makes overeating easier. Maybe not 'encourage' it, as nobody looks at a plate and thinks 'i need to fill that plate with food and eat it all' (do they?)..but it makes it easier to not realise you are eating a bigger portion maybe.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I rarely use my plates as they're too big.

I use small bowls to eat from, breakfast bowls.

They hold a meal.... and it's easier to eat from them I find (as I sit on the sofa and scoff).

I can fit a whole 10" pizza on my plates!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Plates ? Plates ?
    The Chippy i get my tea from only wraps everything up in newspaper.
    Never get a plate.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My dinner plates are 15 years old and look sparking new.

That's because I eat from side plates, the actual dinner plates / large soup bowls only get used for guests. I might not eat much myself, but I wouldn't want to be a mean host.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Slowly57
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I agree about them encouraging waste, I can't imagine anyone being able to eat a plate worth of food if the plate is that big.
    However, i do think it makes overeating easier. Maybe not 'encourage' it, as nobody looks at a plate and thinks 'i need to fill that plate with food and eat it all' (do they?)..but it makes it easier to not realise you are eating a bigger portion maybe.

I dunno - you see folks with TOWERING portions at all-you-can-eat buffet places who take two bites and then push the plate away. And the dessert-like coffees you see nowadays - order it, spoon off the cream, eat the marshmallow and leave the rest lol - what's that about then? :eek: Oooh I'm getting old and grumpy lol
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Slowly we have a carvery we go to sometimes, and I say exactly the same. They walk back to their table with the plate piled high with food and then leave half of it. I just think they are greedy, or as my dear Mum would have said "eyes bigger than their stomach" :)

Candlelightx
  • patricia50
    Options
    I watch a lot of cookery programmes like Masterchef Australia and it seems to be the fashion to have a big plate with a small amount of food on. I wonder if that is why there is this trend for large plates, not because people are filling them and eating more
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They walk back to their table with the plate piled high with food

I do that.... but I starve myself for the week prior and prepare for it. I stack the food carefully and really judge everything that goes on the plate to ensure I can eat it.

Invariably I get 2/3rd of the way through and am stuffed.... and I then force myself to eat it all as my 'punishment' for being so greedy.

I've never left any food on the plate to date .... but it really, really hurts towards the end and I'm sure I'll explode one day.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do that.... but I starve myself for the week prior and prepare for it. I stack the food carefully and really judge everything that goes on the plate to ensure I can eat it.

Invariably I get 2/3rd of the way through and am stuffed.... and I then force myself to eat it all as my 'punishment' for being so greedy.

I've never left any food on the plate to date .... but it really, really hurts towards the end and I'm sure I'll explode one day.
    That is awful!

Can't you just go back for a second helping if you need one? I'm sure that there would be less waste that way. Throwing food away is bad enough, but it's even worse when it's an animal that has had its life extinguished because someone might wish to eat it if there is more room in their gut!

There's a Chinese restaurant nearby that does a lunchtime buffet occasionally. You can go back umpteen times, but there are clear signs indicating that any waste on the plate will be weighed and charged for at £X/100g. Guess what, no waste.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure