Most you've made (That taboo subject)

Options
OK it's a taboo subject people winning and then selling prizes. But if you have sold a prize what's the most you've made or did you sell a car prize back to the car showroom/garage you won it from or provided the prize car?

Comments

• DavidHolland3103
    Options
    I've never sold that many of my prizes (I normally find a family member that would want them etc), or we win holidays that we take.

I sold a Sebo Hoover we won for nearly £200, which I suppose is about it really.
  • hertzyabazas
    hertzyabazas Posts: 33,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 September 2016 at 11:23AM
    Options
    About ten years ago I was the UK winner of a global competition to be taken, along with my guest, to the Ascari racetrack in Spain to be driven round it by Michael Schumacher, along with 5* hotel and Michelin Star dining.

Told my girlfriend's dad about it and he phoned me a couple of days later with the offer of £5000 from one of his good friends. Mentioned it to my girlfriend (now my wife) and she said absolutely no way as she didn't like this person, however, she did leave it up to me to decide.
    Turned the offer down and really glad I did (probably would have been dumped!) as it was a real money can't buy prize and MS informed me that we were members of a very elite club.

Another time I won £600 of Halfords vouchers.
    Managed to spend £200 and flogged the rest on Gumtree for £375. Guy came and collected them and was delighted he'd saved £25!
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most of my prizes I've won I've kept or gave away as gifts. I've sold a Nintendo Wii to a family friend. They were looking for one for their child but couldn't afford a brand new one. I sold it to them for less than half the prize of brand new one.
  • CharleyYpres
    Options
    I sold a Dior makeup set for £45. If it had been anywhere near my skin tone I'd have kept it or given it to my sister, but we're both as pale as Casper for it was no good.

I can't think of anything else I've sold. I usually only enter comps that are for things I want or my family would want, it's very occasional that something will come and it isn't what I thought it would be.
  • dan-dan_2
    Options
    Ipad mini for £80, took a week to get it from a computer company but it defiantly helpted a bit
    Cosplayer and proud
  • Fiona_T
    Fiona_T Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I won an oven and sold on eBay for about £200.
  • Autumnella
    Options
    I sold an Ipad Mini for £180, bought a 10" android tablet (Acer, brilliant underrated tablet) for £65 with some of the money.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually give stuff away that I've won, but I had REALLY fab prize that everyone I knew said, "Yea, nice, but OMG, worth how much?!"

I entered and won a competition to win some Le Cruset pans - a fab prize I hear you cry, and the reason I entered, but it was a kitchen package that included a coffee machine and mixer of a spec I could never justify owning based on my limited baking and tea preferences. Both were semi professional quality. I think I made £500 apiece. Oh, and they let me swap the funky retro fridge freezer that was also part of the package for one of those American jobs :)

Please don't hate me too much ;)
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • Jadia11
    Jadia11 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I tend to enter competitions for stuff I want or that I know other family members or friends would like. However I have sold 2 things I won. Thought my Mam would like the £500 national garden centre vouchers I won, she didn't so I sold them for £380 to a friend who was doing up her garden.
    Also, as part of a win there was a watch that was too big for my Dad so I sold it for £160 (worth £250) and gave him the money to buy a different one.
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sold a car back to the showroom for about £8000 (this was about 20 years ago now) it was from Take a Break magazine - had just entered all the comps in the magazine. I was a student in London and couldnt afford to insure it but the showroom offered to buy it before I even mentioned this. I think they made money on it by selling it twice. I used the money to travel for a bit after I graduated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure