🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

To do list for the newly single

Options
Hi, asking for a friend who has recently become single
Female, not married, 1 child 4 years old
Income less than 20k, assume partner was similar
Finances were already kept seperate

What can you suggest she needs to do to adapt her finances now that it's a single household with lower income? Eg. council tax, tax credits etc? Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apply for tax credits, both working & child, child benefit, child maintenance. When she gets her council tax bill for whatever property she is at she needs to ask for single adult discount.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    What did gender have to do with it? just curious
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wells she should rewrite her Will as an urgent necessity, even though divorce ahould have negated her financial entanglements with her husband. I presume although the father will still have parental right withbthw child she should think about appointing a guardian for her child should he die.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Wells she should rewrite her Will as an urgent necessity, even though divorce ahould have negated her financial entanglements with her husband. I presume although the father will still have parental right withbthw child she should think about appointing a guardian for her child should he die.

OP states "she wasn't married".
  • andymoneysave
    Options
    @guest101 - I didn't know if it would make any difference or not TBH, I just mentioned it in case, I've got no idea about benefits and tax credits and so on
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    @guest101 - I didn't know if it would make any difference or not TBH, I just mentioned it in case, I've got no idea about benefits and tax credits and so on

Without trying to go too far off topic - that is worrying.

Anyway it doesn't make any difference whatsoever so now you know :)
  • BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP states "she wasn't married".

The OP states that she is not married, not that she wasn't married. She has recently become single, which suggests she was not single before.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BNT wrote: »
    The OP states that she is not married, not that she wasn't married. She has recently become single, which suggests she was not single before.

Most people nowadays (rightly or wrongly) talk about being single when they're not in a relationship. I took the OP to mean that this woman and her partner weren't married, the relationship broke up and now she's on her own.
  • BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most people nowadays (rightly or wrongly) talk about being single when they're not in a relationship. I took the OP to mean that this woman and her partner weren't married, the relationship broke up and now she's on her own.

Yes, it could be read that way. But there is nothing that states that she wasn't married. If she has a child and is recently single, it is not unreasonable for Primrose to think that she was previously married. One could assume either way.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In any case, regardless of her new status, if she has a small child she should have an up to date Will with a guardian named for her child in case her ex is no longer alive and able to take responsibility for her child in the event of her demise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport