Hiring a Car in France

I have just hired a vehicle to drive in France on the Auto Europe.com website which I think is an American site. Auto Europe also has a co.uk site but it is a lot more expensive to purchase the rental so didn't see a problem with booking it through the American site. I answered all the questions and I couldn't see anywhere on the site where it told me you had to be a resident of the USA to use there site. Has anyone any experience doing this?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What's not included?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As Richard said above.

You only get liability insurance booking through the US site, that's why it's cheaper, if you book through the UK site you get liability, CDW and theft.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Don't forget that the cheapest way to hire a car or van in France is from a Supermarket. Get a bus from the airport to HyperU, LeClerc etc.
    You can usually book online first.
  • you prob. wont get the same level of insurance, however you can buy insurance in the UK quite cheaply.
    I do similar when hiring a car in USA (ie book on the US websites & not the UK)- take the cheap option & not pay their insurance charges - then organise my own insurance in the UK.

google car hire excess insurance
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Marcus-H wrote: »
    you prob. wont get the same level of insurance, however you can buy insurance in the UK quite cheaply.
    I do similar when hiring a car in USA (ie book on the US websites & not the UK)- take the cheap option & not pay their insurance charges - then organise my own insurance in the UK.

google car hire excess insurance
    That's excess insurance. It won't be any use if CDW is not included at all - the limit on excess insurance is usually a few thousand not the full value of a car. Some American car hire sites don't include CDW as it's often covered in other ways like a credit card perk.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    zagfles wrote: »
    That's excess insurance. It won't be any use if CDW is not included at all - the limit on excess insurance is usually a few thousand not the full value of a car. Some American car hire sites don't include CDW as it's often covered in other ways like a credit card perk.

And unlike us, many car insurance policies in the US cover drivers for hire cars too.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't forget that the cheapest way to hire a car or van in France is from a Supermarket. Get a bus from the airport to HyperU, LeClerc etc.
    You can usually book online first.

Do you have a link for these online?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    malky39 wrote: »
    Do you have a link for these online?

https://www.location-u.com/homepage.php

Just forget about the idea.

If you want to pick up at the airport, you'll need to go with a run of the mill provider. I'd avoid a broker if you don't know who the provider might be.
    In answer to your Atlas Choice question, the provider is likely FireFly)the low cost Hertz subsidiary). Better to book direct with them. Don't even think about renting without purchasing standalone car hire excess insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure