PayPal taking payment via direct debit rather than Debit card

Options
Had a bit of a panic when I saw a ebay purchase from China for £2.99 on my bank statement paid via DD rather than the normal debit card route.

Online banking showed a DD set up for payment to JPMC re paypal intl ltd for £30.59 that came out today, so cancelled the DD as I didnt know who JPMC are.

Called PP to be told that I would have clicked a box somewhere (possibly when I set up a PP credit account) and that they sometimes take payment via DD as some companies dont accept card payments ????? and some other tosh.

The £30.35 is a recent ebay purchase, my bank account is in credit but PP would not give me a acceptable reason why they were now taking payments via DD rather than via my debit card.

Panic and vent over but Im still :mad:

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think, forgive me if I'm wrong, but when you log into PayPal now to complete a purchase you have the option of where you wish the funds to come from... I have linked my bank account & debit card so both are listed in the drop down menu.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2016 at 10:46AM
    Options
    I have seen that and going through a test ebay purchase now you have to add your card details to make the purchase.

If you select PP then your asked to log in to your PP account to continue then its back to ebay with a checkout screen that states payment from debit card with debit card number.

There is no indication that the payment will be DD.

I have tried to use the pay by CC option a little while ago with an Amex card but it failed to go through just had the little circle going round and round, in fact thats when I gave up and used PP credit to make the purchase.

Another issue is that these DD payments take a couple of days to come out, the £30.35 purchase was Sunday 25th September evening the payment only came out today.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You can only use Amex when paying as a guest.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Ive had ebay/paypal taking money days after the purchase for a while now. I dont think its related to card payments or DD payments. Possibly more down to their systems and maybe delaying payment to make buyers feel more secure?

Ive had stuff arrive before the payments been taken.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2016 at 12:27PM
    Options
    You can only use Amex when paying as a guest.

Didnt know that, thanks but wonder why it bothers to give you the choice then.

I would like to know why PP want to take payment by DD rather than my linked debit card though, would it be bank charges?

Shouldnt they have to send some sort of DD agreement when one is set up?

Just had a look a past PP emails I received when setting up PP credit, in this email at the bottom welcoming me to PP credit.

More time to pay

PayPal Credit gives you more time to pay. You can manage your account and pay your bill by logging in at wwwpp.com/uk. We'll send you regular reminders (so you don't get caught out) and you can set up regular payments with Direct Debit**.

**It can take up to five days to set up a Direct Debit, but your bank may be different.

That would suggest that I have the choice to set up DD, seems not.
  • Heliflyguy
    Options
    Update if anyone's interested.

After cancelling the DD with my bank an email from PP arrived today advising that if I wanted to continue to pay direct from my bank account I should set up a DD.

Having never used this option with ebay or any other PP transaction in many years its all rather odd.

It goes on to say that I can continue to use my bank debit card linked to my PP account so all good there then.

Will scrutinise and record my next ebay purchase to ensure Im not the one messing up here, although Im pretty sure its not me :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure