Car Insurance for a Foreign Driver

Options
Hi,

I have been driving since 1997 had a US license. I moved to the UK in 2010, converted my license into a UK license 1.5 years ago (passed the test) and am looking to get a cheap run around car for errands etc.

In the US, I have been driving for many years and had no faults. Whats the best way to go about getting a decent car insurance policy as in the calculators I am getting very high annual premium rates primarily because they think I am a new driver.

Thanks

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try speaking to a local broker (Avoid Swintons), ideally speak to a broker who are based near a U.S military base in the UK as they will be used to dealing with this issue. They will normally have special deals with certain Insurers.

Have you been driving a company car whilst you've been in the UK as this may help.

Also look on forums for Yanks in the UK and / or forums for American military in the UK as it will be discussed on there
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try a good broker, to see if they can put forward your driving experience to their insurers, but I'm not sure you should get your hopes up too high.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    P.S Could you update the thread with how you get on as this site comes up high on google, so it may help anyone in your position googling it in the future
  • pred02
    pred02 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Will do. Just to confirm, in the UK would i pay the broker a fee or does he get commission by selling a car insurance product?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pred02 wrote: »
    Will do. Just to confirm, in the UK would i pay the broker a fee or does he get commission by selling a car insurance product?

He usually gets commission when he sell the policy. There isn't normally a separate fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure