Stopping Smoking - Need Advice Please.

Options
Good afternoon MSE,

I apologise if this is in the wrong forum. I've decided (after making too many excuses!) to join the NHS Stoptober programme where you go smoke-free for 28 days' with the view, by the end of the month, you've stopped smoking.

I've tried e-cigarettes in the past. Wasn't impressed so am looking at NRT i.e. Nicquitin etc.

Appreciate everyone's different but for those of you who have tried it... any recommendations?

Thank you :beer:
It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.

Comments

• martinthebandit
    Options
    Ecigs worked for me and the Mrs.

Whatever you try though you just have to;

1. Want to stop, and;
    2. Persevere.

Sorry, but there is no 'magic bullet'

Allen Carr's stop smoking book is worth a read though.
  • I went cold turkey and every time i had a craving would jump up and go for a walk. I only quit about 6 months ago but feel so much better already.

You really have to want to stop, find what is motivating you to stop and keep concentrating on it when you feel like giving in.

Good luck :cool:
  • Money_maker
    Options
    I used Alan Carrs book and willpower a few years ago. No relapses and I was a min 40 a day for over 20 years. There used to be a very supportive thread on here too, I'm sure the NHS will have a forum with support online 24/7 available. Good luck, you can do it and life is sweeter without nicotine.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far; very encouraging.

Although I've only smoked for the last five years a. I'm spending too much and b. I've noticed I'm developing more of a cough than I've had before.

Granted I'll have damaged my lungs now I want to stop before I develop other complications.

I love walking anyway (it's helped me lose seven stone) and walk my friend's two dogs when I can so there's no excuse not to get out into the nearby country park.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    I quit earlier this year with Champix tablets from the stop smoking clinic at my GP surgery. Worked a treat as I've tried NRT in the past and didn't help at all. I do have an ecig (the one that looks like a ciggie) but I try to not use it as I don't want to become dependent on it, like some of my friends have. I only use it when I get a real twitch and I make sure I put it away after each puff.

I do keep getting urges to go jogging, which is really weird as I hate running of any sort and my knees can't really take it. I just walk instead. I also use puzzles to distract me, which helps take my mind off any cravings. Good luck! If I can do it, anyone can :)
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    trolleyrun wrote: »
    I quit earlier this year with Champix tablets from the stop smoking clinic at my GP surgery. Worked a treat as I've tried NRT in the past and didn't help at all. I do have an ecig (the one that looks like a ciggie) but I try to not use it as I don't want to become dependent on it, like some of my friends have. I only use it when I get a real twitch and I make sure I put it away after each puff.

I do keep getting urges to go jogging, which is really weird as I hate running of any sort and my knees can't really take it. I just walk instead. I also use puzzles to distract me, which helps take my mind off any cravings. Good luck! If I can do it, anyone can :)

I did consider visiting my GP and enquiring about Champix but one of the possible serious side effects mean it might not be suitable for me (I suffer from depression).

I try and do plenty of walking where I can and treated myself to a skipping rope yesterday.

I might start buying Take a Break again and doing the puzzles in there. Won't send them off because I won't win :rotfl:.

But seriously thank you for the positivity and feedback-much appreciated.
  • Money_maker
    Options
    Good luck with this. You'll find that your cough will vanish, half the time smokers don't even realise how much they cough. You will notice smells more such as food, washing conditioner and perfume. Everything will taste better (watch that one!). As a relatively new smoker, hopefully you wont miss the hand to mouth action too much.

I used to look after a lady on oxygen 24/7 and was terrified that I would end up like that.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I joined a group at my local Health Centre, we'd meet up every week to get our Nicorette, & blow into the thing just to make sure we hadn't cheated. That was in 2009 after being diagnosed with breast cancer, I was on the Nicorette inhalator (as I felt I needed the hand to mouth thing) for just 3 weeks & that was it for me. I've never smoked or even wanted to since, & I know that I never will again. Good Luck!
  • Mayflower10cat
    Options
    I gave up almost 15 years ago, mostly down to will power. Back then you could still smoke in Pubs etc, so I only went very occasionally and would have a few friends (Non-smokers!) over for a drink at home. I did use nicotine gum (horrible, but it did help) and also back then before e-cigs & vaping, Nicorette made an inhaler thingy that didn't look like a cigarette but gave you something to do with your hands if you were in a smoky pub/club. I also did more sewing & painting to occupy my hands of an evening.

It's hard however you do it. These days the money you'll save must be such an inducement to stop. Almost a tenner a packet is horrific!

The very best of luck to you. It's worth it. I now sing with a local pop/rock band for fun - something I doubt my breath control or lung capacity would have allowed me to do had I carried on smoking.
  • MonicaSmith
    Options
    Be with more people who are allergic to smoke or hate smoking. Their feedback/worries/discussion/sarcasm will make you reduce your smoking frequency, if not stop it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure