Trade in a non-runner?

Options
Hi,

my BMW 120d (57 plate) has just broken down (timing belt problems). The garage tells me that it's likely to be £2000 min to fix but he expects that more of the engine will be damaged once he's get into the engine.

A new engine would cost upwards of £3200, the car (according to webuyanycar) is valued at £3850.

Looks like a new car then, any ideas re. scrappage schemes or minimum value trade in's or any other options available to me.

thanks

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'll get scrap value at trade in, minus transporting costs, so about £0.

Scrap yard might give you £50 for it if you can get it to them.

I'd either be looking at getting it repaired with a reconditioned engine, or selling it on ebay as non-running with a list of the issues, someone will want it to either repair or for parts (presumably the rest of it is in good condition). You can always try and sell the parts yourself but you'll have issues getting rid of the rest of it.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Options
    Ebay it with an honest description of the problems
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Repairing this car will see you in a ~£4k car for £2k-£3.2k.
    Buying an equivalent replacement will cost you £4k+, since WBAC is an absolute base value. If you eBay this one, you might get £500, and a replacement would likely involve other costs and time.

Why would you not repair this one...?
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is ripe for ebay, plenty of backstreet garages will grab this and put a S/H engine in.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    This is ripe for ebay, plenty of backstreet garages will grab this and put a S/H engine in.
    Trouble is, cars with a broken engine are far more numerous than cheap replacement engines. That puts the broken value down.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    I would spend the money on a good secondhand engine and keep it. At least you wont have any further issues with the timing chain for a long time....you will also replace the clutch and DMF at the same time so thats the only weak point.

Unless you want another car sell it for £1000-£1500 with an honest advert and see how you go.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perfect for someone who needs a new bodyshell. I think you will get about £1k perhaps a little more.
  • andyml73
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to go with a new (reconditioned) engine. It's an unexpected outlay but gets me back on the road quickly. I'm not really set up to move around and store a non-runner in the short-term so this will be the easiest solution.

Also the engine will be covered by warranty, I will probably keep the car for at least another year or so.
  • foxy-stoat
    Options
    Good choice.

When you find an engine, google the company name and look for previous name changes and read all reviews. You get what you pay for, not what the advert says. There is/was a company on the ebay that advertised reconditioned engines that were actually scrap that have been steam cleaned and painted, they have changed names a few times and ripped a lot of people off. A reconditioned engine should have been stripped down, piston/rods/crank checked and replaced, rings replaced, valves checked and replaced if necessary. etc etc. This wont be £1000 it will be a lot more.

You would do well to buy an engine thats still in the car that you can see and hear running, get that back to your choosen garage who can then replace anything that needs replacing.

You can sell what you have left to recoop some of the costs. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure