Options
124»

Comments

• jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    It's better to turn your PC off when you're not using it, as it can use a fair bit of electricity otherwise.

And restarting it will make sure that any programs running will be closed -- which can be useful if some hidden application or service has crashed or malfunctioned.

I certainly wouldn't leave any PC on all the time.

I agree with this.

I wonder why you were advised to keep it running all the time? The only circumstances I can think of when this would be justified is if the PC is in use as a server; or a backup of large volumes of data has been set to run overnight.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I seem to remember reading that turning off and on is likely to create power system failures. Perhaps it's no longer relevant but the idea remains. A similar thing exists with new led light technology - apparently the figures for longevety are very optimistic because, although the led itself is very reliable, the units will fail earlier because the circuitry doesn't like repeated on/off cycles.
  • jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    I seem to remember reading that turning off and on is likely to create power system failures. Perhaps it's no longer relevant but the idea remains. A similar thing exists with new led light technology - apparently the figures for longevety are very optimistic because, although the led itself is very reliable, the units will fail earlier because the circuitry doesn't like repeated on/off cycles.

I can see what you mean, and I've heard something along those lines as well. But it was more in the context of sudden catastrophic power failure, such as when a computer is turned off at its power switch (or there is an actual power cut), rather than by it powering down in sequence. As you say though, that was then and maybe today's equipment is more robust. The LED failure you mention does make sense.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »

Electron shock, I think it's called. But how many components on your PCs have ever failed because of it...? Statistically, you'll save much more money by turning the PC off when you're not using it.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:01PM
    Options
    UPDATE

I was still having problems. I discovered it was the wireless network adapter as I keep troubleshooting it and it would fix itself, them 10 minutes later I would need to do the same again.

After googling I uninstalled the adapter, restarted and entered my router password again and (fingers crossed) it seems to have solved the issue :T I have only just tried this but hopefully it is a permanent fix.

EDIT: Its stopped working again :mad::mad::mad:

I ran a diagnose on the network adapter and it had to fix it again. :( It worked fine for a bit. I did notice that it connected itself to a site showing mobile version and after that if started to go slow again, so then I did the check.

Any ideas how I resolve this permanently? Can I purchase anything to fix it? (Not a Ethernet cable as its not practical to run wires right across the room)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure