We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone use click and drop with OBA?

13»

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 April 2017 at 7:32PM
    OBA isn't any different to DMO as per the size of the company. With OBA you use codes to enter your mail. Soolin sounds like she is using the VAT exempt code BPL. There are lots of codes and it will depend on which type of contract you have as to which codes you can use.

DMO isn't code based but it is exactly the same in so much as I could use the BPL equivalent if I wanted (assuming it was on my account). Instead you opt for your service in plain English terminology rather than codes.

Both systems work on averages.

With DMO you enter the exact weight of each parcel and the full address. It is recorded for you to archive and search at a later date. With OBA you enter the total parcels and overall weight and never enter the address.

DMO prints your address label and postage and QR code all in one. OBA is just a manual input of your postage charges for RM to invoice you later. With OBA you still need to make a label (with a PPI).

Although you can use any printer with DMO, most people use it with a thermal such as Zebra as that is what the label is. Enter, print and post.

They are the same thing but work differently, if that makes sense.

DMO prints out the address label and charges to your OBA so RM can invoice you.

OBA is your manual input of the days posting in order you can be invoiced.

Hopefully that helps explain the differences.

I don't have any knowledge of click and drop.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,768 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OBA isn't any different to DMO as per the size of the company. With OBA you use codes to enter your mail. Soolin sounds like she is using the VAT exempt code BPL. There are lots of codes and it will depend on which type of contract you have as to which codes you can use.

DMO isn't code based but it is exactly the same in so much as I could use the BPL equivalent if I wanted (assuming it was on my account). Instead you opt for your service in plain English terminology rather than codes.

Both systems work on averages.

With DMO you enter the exact weight of each parcel and the full address. It is recorded for you to archive and search at a later date. With OBA you enter the total parcels and overall weight and never enter the address.

DMO prints your address label and postage and QR code all in one. OBA is just a manual input of your postage charges for RM to invoice you later. With OBA you still need to make a label (with a PPI).

Although you can use any printer with DMO, most people use it with a thermal such as Zebra as that is what the label is. Enter, print and post.

They are the same thing but work differently, if that makes sense.

DMO prints out the address label and charges to your OBA so RM can invoice you.

OBA is your manual input of the days posting in order you can be invoiced.

Hopefully that helps explain the differences.

I don't have any knowledge of click and drop.

You are correct, I use BPL codes that have a fixed price, not an averaged price. It doesn't show what I am paying when I print my labels, but I have a price list I can refer to if I wish. My prices are just standard less VAT, nothing more than that, but as most of mine are large letters is works out well for me.

My monthly bill breaks down all my postage, I can see each individual price so I can always double check I'm not doing anything daft.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes that's right BPL is my main code I use and when it comes to the weights it asks you for the amount of parcels and the average weight. Which in a way is good for me if I got some very light parcels and the odd heavier one.

I only done one label on the click and drop .just get her my barings on the site so to speak. I will have about 30+ parcels to do for posting out Monday morning . so i might still use the OBA. And use the click and drop begining of the week when I have less parcels to post. Just to get a grip with it.

Soolin.. no they don't stamp my copy. Even when I used to drop them into a post office last time around. I can remember a few post offices refused to take the bags .saying something like no room etc.
    Work to live= not live to work
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,768 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes that's right BPL is my main code I use and when it comes to the weights it asks you for the amount of parcels and the average weight. Which in a way is good for me if I got some very light parcels and the odd heavier one.

I only done one label on the click and drop .just get her my barings on the site so to speak. I will have about 30+ parcels to do for posting out Monday morning . so i might still use the OBA. And use the click and drop begining of the week when I have less parcels to post. Just to get a grip with it.

Soolin.. no they don't stamp my copy. Even when I used to drop them into a post office last time around. I can remember a few post offices refused to take the bags .saying something like no room etc.
    On mine I do no averaging, I just use click and drop via OBA and add weight and postage type for each item. When I discussed it with my business manager they decided this was best for me as the majority of my items were large letter and I prefer to label and print postage as I go along as I don't have dedicated 'eBay time' in my day.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.