Need some advice please - new car

Options
I bought another car today and i discovered that the key fob doesnt work ( til after i left the dealer - the car was on the forecourt and he drove it outside for me ) . I realised when i got home and tried to lock the car when i got home. (I should say its possible to lock the car using the key in the door).
I called the dealer who said its probably the battery - took the car to halfords who couldnt help who suggested another place to me. They took a look and advised me it is the actual fob that needs to be replaced ( quoting me £75 to get it replaced).

When i called the dealer they basically told me to get lost and that its now my problem to sort out. I feel very peeved because i wasn't told about this (at any point during negotiation on price etc) and they obviously knew because how else would they have locked the car.
So my question is - am i right to be peeved? Is it my responsibility to pay for a new fob? Or should this be down to the dealer? I dont really know what to do?
Sleazy wrote: »
I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra! :j

Undergrad degree - completed 2018
Masters degree - completed 2019

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the spare key fob work?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • rainbowfairydust
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    Does the spare key fob work?

there was only one set of keys given to me.

• Fat_Walt
    Options
    there was only one set of keys given to me.

So you bought a car with no spare key?

Was it advertised with remote central locking?

How much did you pay?

Make and model?
  • rainbowfairydust
    Options
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    So you bought a car with no spare key?

Was it advertised with remote central locking?

How much did you pay?

Make and model?

Yes - there was just one set of keys.

I cant recall - i just looked for the advert and its been removed so i cant check. Paid £1400 - its an automatic 2005 corsa. ( i realise this is a lot but smaller engine auto's are less easy to come by).

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First off, you should never ever buy a car with only one key, make sure you ask about the spare key when negotiating the sale, but now that you have, £50 is cheap to supply and code a replacement fob.

You really need a spare key too, which is likely another £50 from a third party (£200 or so from Vauxhall)

If you dismantle the fob, you will likely find that the tiny surface mounted switch has come off the circuit board, and can be soldered carefully back on.

As said above, if it wasn't advertised as "remote locking" then you won't get very far expecting Daleys to sort it, and it is hardly a reason to reject as the car drives and locks perfectly without it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately these things should have been checked and negotiated prior to purchase (including the lack of a second key).

Whilst in a perfect world every car dealer should pay for every minor issue on every car of every age, i dont think you've much hope of extracting what might be half his net profit out of the dealer on an 11 year old car.

You should use one of the key repair services on ebay for about £25. Search for "vauxhall corsa key repair".
  • rainbowfairydust
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Lesson learnt for sure. :(( for me) but :) for taking the time to reply :)

• Clive_Woody
    Options
    Did you pay any of the cost on a credit card? If even just £1 towards the deposit you have section 75 protection you can fall back on
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you pay any of the cost on a credit card? If even just £1 towards the deposit you have section 75 protection you can fall back on

You don't have 'extra' rights over and above consumer rights though. Just they are equally liable for breach of contract including implied terms.

The point here is op doesn't have any rights
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    11yo car. Remote fob not working is definitely fair wear and tear. If you can prove remote locking was explicitly advertised, then you probably have a claim - but for that small an amount, there are far better uses of your time and blood pressure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure