Owning two cars with NCB's - what's best to do?

Options
ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,891 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
My partner has just put a deposit on a new (used) car and is collecting it later this week. His old car is currently parked off road, until he sells it for parts or scraps it.

He has 6 years NCB's with the old car. The policy ends in just a few weeks so, annoyingly, if he cancels it now, he will lose the extra year.

He's going to speak to the insurer about swapping the insurance over to the new car, which will keep everything simple. Unless their new quote is extortionate, in which case we're unsure what to do.

Can he take another insurance policy out with the new car, and just leave the old policy to run out? Can he still use his 6years NCB, or would the second policy have to start with zero NCB?

We'd really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you take out another insurance for the new car which runs alongside the policy for your old car then yes, you will have zero NCD for that policy. The best thing to do is simply update your existing policy with the new car, it's unlikely to cost that much especially when there's only a few weeks left to run.

Once you do this you will have no insurance on your old car so make sure it is indeed off road and SORN it.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    why is it that if you have a smack in car A ( which has a NCD ) it would also effect car B ( again with a separate NCD ) come renewal. Never understood this?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    why is it that if you have a smack in car A ( which has a NCD ) it would also effect car B ( again with a separate NCD ) come renewal. Never understood this?

Several years ago my broker tried to explain it - along the lines of it was because people who are involved in accidents are a higher risk.

i.e. having had one accident - statistics 'prove' they are more likely to have another one.

Even if it was not their fault.

For example, if someone hits their parked car - it's likely to happen again - perhaps due to where they park?
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Then surely it should be the driver who gets the NCB not built up 'per car'? In my scenario I own both cars A and B.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then surely it should be the driver who gets the NCB not built up 'per car'? In my scenario I own both cars A and B.

Logically yes, but then they'd be hard pressed to give a "meaningful" explanation of why you can't apply the same discount to more than one car at a time.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Previously I had a car I was selling and bought a new one and my insurance let me overlap the cover for a short time.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

If he took a separate insurance policy for the new car and just left the old one to run out, would that be ok, or would it cause trouble? He would be using his NCB on two cars but it's only for about a month.

He's figured that by the time the new insurance company ask for proof of his NCB, he'll already have the renewal letter from the old car's policy.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Technically he doesn't have a no-claims bonus to transfer now as he is still using it, so his contract with the new insurer is based on a lie and they can void the policy.

I suppose he could explain to his new insurer and see if they will accept him under the current situation.

Why not just transfer the existing policy and pay the £50+ admin fee?
    Or just wait for the insurance to run out before insuring the new car?

There is also the problem that arises if he sells the car for scrap whilst it is still insured and someone drives it without their own insurance and crashes it that he will have to pay for the damage under the terms of his policy
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport