Car Service Plan - Aye or Nay (or stick with local garage).

Options
Korkyb
Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 23 September 2016 at 6:52PM in Motoring
Hi all

I have just bought a 1 year old Mk5 Ford Mondeo (2L Diesel) from a main Ford Dealer.

Its done 12.5k and has just been serviced by said dealer.

I have been offered a "pay up front service plan" and am looking for advice as to whether I should go with it or stick with my local garage.

The best value plan appears to be the 4 year plan which includes 4 services and 2 MOT's coming in at a grand £539.

Services are due at 12.5k miles and I do at least that so the plan would take me up to the 60,000ish mile service

Any advice from someone who knows about these things would be appreciated....because I know very little about these things :-)
Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They aren't offering these plans to be your friend. They're offering them to maximise THEIR income.
  • Korkyb
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    They aren't offering these plans to be your friend. They're offering them to maximise THEIR income.

I understand that but I suppose the same could be said of my local garage - their both in the business of making dosh.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Korkyb wrote: »
    I understand that but I suppose the same could be said of my local garage - their both in the business of making dosh.
    But your local garage aren't trying to lock you in to using their services, whether you're satisfied or not. They want you to come back because of the quality of their work, not because you've already paid and aren't (quite) pee'd off enough to just throw that money away.
  • Korkyb
    edited 23 September 2016 at 7:03PM
    Options
    Yep that makes a lot of sense....

I guess as well if there was ever any work to be done I would end up paying more with the dealer than I would locally cancelling out any savings made on the services....
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As a car gets older more expensive service items may be required and you need to check all items are covered. Brake and clutch fluid changes, wimdscreen wipers, brake components etc may be excluded.

What if the car is written off? If you replace it with a similar car can the plan be transferred or is the money paid lost?

In short read the documentation and know what you are signing up for.
  • knightstyle
    Options
    A friend has done this plan with Ford since buying a secondhand Fiesta two years ago.
    Last month the A/C packed up and the garage had to replace most of it due to blockages and faulty compressor. Ford paid most of the cost after the garage put the case to them.
    He is sure having the service plan helped with this.
  • jimmy_cricket
    Options
    I've had the mini one, just taken my eight year old car in for a service and it cost me nowt. Was expecting them to find something that they could charge for outside of the paid for service.

Sadly due to its age, I now have to go the traditional pay as you go route.

I thought the deal I have had over the last eight years to be fabulous but suppose it depends on both the t and c and how honest the garage is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport