central heating quotes

Options
our central heating system failed its annual service recently as the flue test showed fumes at the top of the pipe where it exits the roof coming into the loft. I was then told better to go for a new combi system( we have the tanks in the loft and airing cupboard system) as the cost effective remedy. However as the quotes come inthey certainly vary. ONE is that a area at the bottom of the airing cupboard has been tested and confirmed as asbestos (its no bigger than the laptop I am typing this on) the cost of removal of this + plus the flue is £1300+. I am informed that this is a fixed ptice no matter the size of the asbestos. As a number of you seem very knowledgable on the subject I would be glad of tour views. thanks.

Comments

• southcoastrgi
    Options
    What's the make & model of your boiler & where exactly were these "fumes" coming from ? Pics would be good
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • almeria1
    Options
    it is an ideal mexico boiler. I saw the chap do the smoke test and could just make out wisps of smoke at the very top of the flue pipe. however after mentioni g this to a neighbour I went into the loft to have a closer look at the flue. I found that on the very last collar before exiting the roof a piece of the cement about the size of a 50p piece fell into my hand when I felt around the collar . Upshot is I have now been advised to buy fire cement to put round collar and the to call gas engineer back for further test. do you think that would be worth doing ??
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    I'd be more inclined to get flue sealant ( its red) rather than cement, it might be ok for a while longer but sooner or later you are gonna have to bite the bullet
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • almeria1
    Options
    ok thanks I will look out for the sealant then and try that on the flue.
  • almeria1
    Options
    I should mention tHat I' ve had 2 quotes so far, one for £4700+ and another ( BG) for £7250+ so you can see why I am hoping cement/ sealant would do the job in passing the testing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure