Auris clutch problem

Options
13»

Comments

• Rain_Shadow
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Slow down there... Out of 100 burnt-out 20k-old clutches - especially in cars like near-new lowish-mileage Toyotas - roughly how many are down to component failures, and roughly how many are down to driver wuckfittery?

THAT is the point I'm making, and which you are utterly failing to address.

My 82 year old mother has an Aygo that has done 3000 miles in three years. I'm expecting the clutch to go at any time. I'm not imagining it will be a manufacturing fault. :cool:
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • david_a
    Options
    I see you have put it is a manual but mentioned gear indicators not keeping up with changes. Is it an MMT?
  • Thank you to those who posted since my last post. I will not respond to the ' I know better than you' posts to save time. Rain Shadow was a bit disappointed in your post presuming that 82 year olds are more than likely to ruin clutches. I am hoping that when you get to 82 your ofspring will have more understanding of life.
    David A Thank you for your post. My car is 1.6 v-matic Excel 5dr. IT has a petrol engine. According to website stuff they have a multidrive but I am not sure if that is what you mean. ( Information book is in the car at the garage.) I always felt my gear changes happened before the little arrow came on. similarly I would have the reverse gear in seconds before rear cameras showed. on screen. Does it make a difference to way one changes gear?
    Have just had 'report' from garage. Needs new clutch and Flywheel as first has burnt out and second overheated. Cost £921.
  • david_a
    david_a Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi. The MMT (Multi Mode Transmission) is effectively a manual gearbox but with no clutch pedal.
    Owners should be aware that with these kind of gearboxes leaving them in D whilst stationary will cause drag on the clutch leading to the clutch overheating and wearing out quicker.
  • David thank you for the information. My car has a clutch pedal. Need to use it to start the car. Friends now tell me that they have always noticed this car is very noisy when driven off. Do not hear loud noise if in the car with me.
    They presumed that was typical of the Auris.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    david_a wrote: »
    Hi. The MMT (Multi Mode Transmission) is effectively a manual gearbox but with no clutch pedal.
    Owners should be aware that with these kind of gearboxes leaving them in D whilst stationary will cause drag on the clutch leading to the clutch overheating and wearing out quicker.

I'm sure I read this is a myth, manufacturers know this risk and designed it accordingly to disengage the clutch. Can't remember where now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure