Pensacola, FL, to San Antonio, TX

Options
13»

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    Noted, thanks :)

I'm really in two minds about NO, I wouldn't be so hesitant if I was travelling with a companion who wanted to visit but, for some reason, it's not somewhere that's ever really appealed to me :o
    On the other hand I feel like if I'm passing so close by it might be silly not to stop :huh:
    It's on my 'maybe' list at the moment :think:

Definitely worth knowing, thanks :)

New Orleans is definitely a place for couples or same sex groups rather than the single traveller but as long as you go with an open mind you can enjoy it on your own, there is no place else like it.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Listen to you with your Fancy Fancy extra legroom seats - good on you, you're worth every penny.

You'll LOVE Texas !!

:D
    But not as Fancy Fancy as Business Class, eh Murphy? :beer:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    :D
    But not as Fancy Fancy as Business Class, eh Murphy? :beer:

I've only ever had it once and that was a freebie due to a flight snafu (& it was absolutely gorgeous)

I've got a long trip "in the back" of a BA 747 over Christmas time to look forward to - please, please, please let the IFE entertainment work :o
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2016 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Thanks Murphy
    Missisippi (would quite like to do a trip on a paddle steamer, if possible), possibly a day or two in New Orleans then into Texas.
    San Antonio (Seaworld and The Alamo), maybe Corpus Christie(?), Galveston, Johnson Space Centre and then return flights from Houstion (IAH)
    Transatlantic flights are Virgin to Atlanta, connections on Delta but VS flight numbers and all on one ticket.
    Slightly apprehensive about how busy the I10 might be and there are one or two bridges that look, fankly, terrifying, but wouldn't be in any great hurry and quite happy to find alternative routes if necessary.

What do you think?

San Antonio-Small and cute. Alamo is tiny but obviously has history

Johnson Space Centre-Disappointing IMHO

New Orleans
    Iconic Downtown and Waterfront-We went on a Jazz Paddle steamer afternoon-Great fun.
    We did our own Cemetery tours-did some research before hand as to what graves to see (Scene from Easy Rider shot here).
    Po Boy is a must
    We also did some Voodoo session -Can't remember why or where!

Texas
    Has a lot of prisons
    Did a Museum tour at Huntsville

Virgin Flights
    Look at V-flyer to see if any-one is going on the same flight and if they are in Upper Class
    If so ask (nicely) for a guest into the Lounge.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:17AM
    Options
    Further research has (as usual) resulted in a list of things I want to do/see that exceeds the number of days I have :o:D

So far, I've booked two nights in Pensacola and a night in Biloxi. Now looking at New Orleans. Would like to do the paddle steamer but a bit wary of wandering around alone so thinking that a couple of guided tours might work well for me.

I'm thinking that maybe ditching the rental car at MSY before spending a couple of days in NOLA then flying from MSY to SAT and picking up another car in San Antonio might be the way to go. It'd free up an extra two days to do stuff in Texas, and I've also discovered a rodeo that'll be on at Galveston while I'm there :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I'm thinking that maybe ditching the rental car at MSY before spending a couple of days in NOLA then flying from MSY to SAT and picking up another car in San Antonio might be the way to go. It'd free up an extra two days to do stuff in Texas, and I've also discovered a rodeo that'll be on at Galveston while I'm there :)

We enjoyed the river walk in San Antonio (in a touristy type way !) and Tower of the Americas.
    In hindisght, we should have readup about the Alamo before we got there, as we would have got more out of visting it (other than gee, I thought it would have been bigger than that !).
    Galveston was a nice change of pace for us and a chance to dip our feet into the sea. Several years ago it got battered by Hurricane Ike. Lots of local history about before Ike and post Ike recovery. (I can remember the Tree Carvings and the story behind them)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure