We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Starter checklist self employed

Options
I need to complete the starter checklist form. I am self employed and have been for 12 years, I am now taking up a job part time, but remains self employed as well. (New job is employed work)
So am I
(A) this is my first job since last April and I have not been receiving taxable Jobseeker's Allowance, employment and support allowance, taxable incapacity benefit, state or occupational pension

Or (c) as well as my new job, I have another job or receiving a state or occupational pension.

As being self employed technically is it a job or not as far as they class for this form, as its to asses what tax code to put me on,

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Really depends if you want to pay more tax now and less via self assessment or vice versa.

Statement a gives you your full tax allowances backdated to April so you might end up having tax to pay on all your self employment income (depends on part time wage at new job).

Statement c will treat this like a second job so 20% tax will be deducted. If this is too much you get it back on completion of your self assessment return but this depends on how much your business profits are
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport