MSE News: Respond to your council's household enquiry form - or risk a £1,000 fine

Household enquiry forms are being sent to every home in the UK, but don't ignore it - you could face a £1,000 fine...
Read the full story:
'Respond to your council's household enquiry form - or risk a £1,000 fine'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huh?

I get a Voter Registration form every year, which I can respond to by logging in online using the two part code.

Is this something else?

I'm just worried scammers will now send out forms with a similar name, gathering information. Fill in your birthdate. Give your full name, including maiden name. :eek:
  • d0nkeyk0ngd0nkeyk0ng Forumite
    871 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Oh balls. We got this a week or two ago and I just chucked it in the recycling. Should I take any action or hope they send a reminder?
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    Oh balls. We got this a week or two ago and I just chucked it in the recycling. Should I take any action or hope they send a reminder?
    In my experience they send a second if the first does not come back.

However, the voter registration form goes out every year around this time, so you should have been sending it back every year since you moved into your own home (whether rented or owned).
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's no longer a voter registration form.

Under the old system, someone was required to return an Electoral Registration Form each year, and people were added to (or removed from) the Register on the basis of that form.

Electoral Registration is now an individual responsibility. Each eligible person in a household has to register to vote, and the easiest way to do this is on line.

The Household Enquiry Form is similar to the old Electoral Registration Form, but technically it is different. It is not used as the sole basis of adding people to the register, but it alerts the Electoral Registration Officer to people living in their area who apparently should be on the Register but are not. The ERO will contact anyone identified on the Household Enquiry Form whom they were previously unaware of, and "invite" them to register.
  • Wondering if people know if it's the norm for another form to come from the Council each year - ie one asking if the "single person discount" is still applicable - as I've been getting one each year since moving here but don't recall doing so before I did so.

Just had mine yesterday - again - and with a date on it that they want it back by less than a fortnight away (despite fact Council office is so far away that it has no choice but to be sent by post - so that's 2 days or more of the deadline time used up for that).

Just as well that I hadnt just gone off on a fortnight's holiday then...:cool:
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, it had to happen.

Household registration, to enable better control of mutants, migrants and gypsies. X-Men the movies have warned us for years.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It's no longer a voter registration form.

Under the old system, someone was required to return an Electoral Registration Form each year, and people were added to (or removed from) the Register on the basis of that form.

Electoral Registration is now an individual responsibility. Each eligible person in a household has to register to vote, and the easiest way to do this is on line.

The Household Enquiry Form is similar to the old Electoral Registration Form, but technically it is different. It is not used as the sole basis of adding people to the register, but it alerts the Electoral Registration Officer to people living in their area who apparently should be on the Register but are not. The ERO will contact anyone identified on the Household Enquiry Form whom they were previously unaware of, and "invite" them to register.

This is correct, but why on earth couldn't they just allow all new occupants to register individually on the same piece of paper?
  • gozaimasugozaimasu Forumite
    860 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I absolutely hate this. Forced household registration under the guise of elecoral registration. I don't want to vote, yet they want my details, and everytime I move house they stalk and track my moves across the country. Ridiculous.
  • MarkthesharkMarktheshark Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    More threats.
    I am getting very sick and tired of jumped up little hitters threatening people with fines.

FREEDOM, they can stick it and I will make it as hard as humanly possible for them.

I do not respond to threats, I have a backbone.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    More threats.
    I am getting very sick and tired of jumped up little hitters threatening people with fines.

FREEDOM, they can stick it and I will make it as hard as humanly possible for them.

I do not respond to threats, I have a backbone.

I'm a libertarian, and don't like government collecting data needlessly, but this is about ensuring as many people as possible have the right to vote. If you chose not to exercise that right that's a different matter.

One thing that does offend me on the new form, is that if no one in the household is eligible to vote on the basis of nationality, you have to state what nationality all the occupiers are. That's a step too far IMO. But although these forms are sent out by your local council, the form design and the requirement for them to be sent out and completed comes from central government.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals