Very very confused

Options
Could someone please enlighten me
I am an avid watcher and member of Experian (cos they do make mistakes) so I am familiar with what makes a good credit score. I currently have a score worthy of several good credit cards and recently applied for one (MBNA). I did the Martin Lewis Eligibility Checker as well as the Experian one and it showed up a 95% chance of getting it so I applied. It was declined. I then applied for another credit card (HSBC 90% chance of getting it) and that got declined also. I then applied for a Sainsbury loan (85%) also declined. Thankfully only 2 searches on my file.
No reason given except they advise you to check your credit score. Nothing wrong with my score or my credit file but clearly there is something wrong somewhere and I am at a loss to know what the problem is. Could someone please please enlighten me as I am desperate for dosh right now. Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ignore your score.

Your phrase 'desperate for dosh' indicates you're over stretched. Too much credit, not enough income
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked the other two credit agencies? They might have information which doesn't appear on Experian.

Then there are all the basics:-

Electoral roll
    not too many applications
    total consumer debt less than 50% of income
    no late payments
    not making minimum payments

and so on.........
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could someone please enlighten me
    I am an avid watcher and member of Experian (cos they do make mistakes) so I am familiar with what makes a good credit score. Are you? It's a mystery to most of us as it's a randomly generated number. I currently have a score worthy of several good credit cards and recently applied for one (MBNA). I did the Martin Lewis Eligibility Checker as well as the Experian one and it showed up a 95% chance of getting it so I applied. It was declined. I then applied for another credit card (HSBC 90% chance of getting it) and that got declined also. I then applied for a Sainsbury loan (85%) also declined. Maybe that is because these companies do not see your 'score'. They see the raw data on your credit history and then decide whether you fit with their lending criteria. Thankfully only 2 searches on my file.
    No reason given except they advise you to check your credit score. I would suggest that they advised you to check your credit file- not your score. Your score means nothing. Nothing wrong with my score or my credit file but clearly there is something wrong somewhere and I am at a loss to know what the problem is. Could someone please please enlighten me as I am desperate for dosh right now. Thank you

The phrase 'desperate for dosh' suggests that you have high utilisation of your available credit or even that you may be over extended in your borrowing. This could be the issue or maybe you just do not fit the lending criteria for the companies that you have applied to.

What is your current level of debt and your salary?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure