Daughter withdrew after 12 weeks but charged over 8K tuition fee!

Options
As the title says my daughter had to withdraw from her 1st year at uni for health reasons. The financial fallout is a nightmare. She's having to pay back maintenance which had already been paid on rent but has now received a statement for over £8,000 on tuition fees, plus over £100 interest!

She left her course in January, two weeks after the start of the new term. Surely she should only be charged for half the tuition fee-if that?

She is still very sick with depression and doesn't need to be worrying about being ripped off financially as well. I will call the Student Loans Co but they were unhelpful re the maintenance loan and I would appreciate some advice first please.

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dawn248 wrote: »
    As the title says my daughter had to withdraw from her 1st year at uni for health reasons. The financial fallout is a nightmare. She's having to pay back maintenance which had already been paid on rent but has now received a statement for over £8,000 on tuition fees, plus over £100 interest!

She left her course in January, two weeks after the start of the new term. Surely she should only be charged for half the tuition fee-if that?

She is still very sick with depression and doesn't need to be worrying about being ripped off financially as well. I will call the Student Loans Co but they were unhelpful re the maintenance loan and I would appreciate some advice first please.

Are you sure the £8,000 is solely from a tuition fee loan? If the overall balance is around £8,000 + interest from tuition + maintenance from a student who withdrew in the second term, that sounds about right.

To work out how much maintenance loan she is eligible for, you divide the total amount originally awarded by 365 (the number of days in the academic year) and then times by the number of days of the academic year (starting 1st September) she attended.

Regarding the tuition loan, the university is entitled to charge 25% to a student that begins the course, a further 25% to a student that starts the second term and the final 50% to a student who starts the third term. So you are correct in saying the university should only charge 50% of the original tuition fee (and in any case, the student is only entitled to 50% of the original tuition fee loan).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure