Openreach - how long at the "connect" stage??

Options
2»

Comments

• We live in a rural area and in April were pleased when we read that Openreach were connecting the cabinet, so fibre is typically available in the next 4 months. We are less than pleased to find that the status on the connection has not changed some 5 months later.
    Relatives tell us that typically within 4 months can mean up to 2 years.
    Which makes working from home a challenge.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We must have waited four years from being told that fibre was coming to the village. It seemed to stay at the "within 18 months" stage for most of that time.

To be fair, we were/are connected direct to the exchange and getting 18 Mbps on copper, so probably a low priority. Surrounding villages got it more quickly. Speed has gone up to 48-50 now, although it was the eight fold increase in upload speed that convinced me to get fibre.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Which makes working from home a challenge.
    You are going to get a business service if you rely on it for your income, aren't you? Rather than relying on a consumer grade service like the ones that advertise on the telly or have so-called "deals" on here and bundle random stuff with no relevance to an internet connection (e.g. TV sports channels), where they regard an interruption to your connectivity as merely an inconvenience to you, so nothing terribly urgent.

I mention this due to the number of "my internet is down and I need it to work from home / run my business as I'm self employed, but TT / Sky / BT / Plusnet / VM (etc) say it will be two weeks before they can fix it" posts that crop up.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure