Village hall wedding

Options
We are planning on getting married next year and are trying to do it on a budget but still make it the kind of day we want it to be, with friends and family around.

I've found a nice village hall we're thinking of hiring but I'm struggling to get my head around the logistics - has anybody else had a village hall wedding? How did it work out? I'm thinking in terms of set up, the sit down meal/buffet and then moving everything ready for the music... And of course the clean up. Luckily the hall we're hiring has a decent price for 3 days hire for the wedding so plenty of time to set up and clear up, but it's the bits during the wedding I'm scratching my head over - do we hire someone to come and do the moving of the tables?! Where do we find these people?

Thanks!
Current plan
started 22/03/2016
(1) Save £15,000 - currently £10,600/£15,000

Comments

• sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We used our church hall for all of our children's weddings, and ours. We attend the church weekly so we knew plenty of people. Many were invited to the wedding but we're still willing to take on set up, clean up assignments. We also had friends do the reception and they would only take the cost of foods and drinks. List what you need to do, music for reception, set/clean up etc then look at your friends and ask if they can help you. We have always returned the favour at their family events. We hired crockery and paid a little more to have it delivered, only scraped clean, and collected. Do you know any reliable teenagers who might help with serving and keeping the buffet table tidy. For the table flowers buy something inexpensive like gypsophillia and simply put it in a jam jar of water with ribbon tied round the neck of the jar. Google image this idea as it looks better than it sounds. Also check with friends, neighbours if they have decorations, eg bunting, that you could borrow.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2016 at 12:11PM
    Options
    The ushers and bridesmaids can help a lot with day before prep and on the day, trestle tables can be moved to the side for a dancefloor area. Clearing plates on the evening can be everyones business - they take from the buffet and have a couple of big plastic rubble tubs/trugs (http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/storage-boxes-for-schools-c3/plastic-flexi-trugs-c28/75lt-extra-large-plastic-flexi-trug-p128
    or
    http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/home-storage-c1/bedroom-and-bathroom-organisation-c16/loft-storage-c87/145lt-premium-quality-lockable-plastic-box-with-clip-on-lid-and-wheels-p1185
    or
    http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/home-storage-c1/bedroom-and-bathroom-organisation-c16/loft-storage-c87/pallet-of-6-150-litre-extra-large-wham-bam-strong-tough-plastic-boxes-with-lids-p3004 for instance) for cutlery and crockery when they're done (plus one for scraping food waste). Alternatively, get starch 'paper' plates and crockery (better than plastic or paper, break down rapidly in compost) and clearup is half done already. Don't underestimate glassware - you will need more than you think.
  • firebird082
    Options
    We did this when we got married this summer. Our hall had a caretaker who was around during the day and sorted out the removal of the tables between the afternoon tea and dancing in the evening. I find a lady who not only provided all the crockery for the afternoon tea (and serves it, washes up etc) but also decorated the hall for us, so she was my 'person who basically did everything' - I really don't know how we would have managed without her, except by asking people to help out (as suggested above), but that was a bit more informal than we really wanted (people were travelling, so didn't really like to ask them to do stuff as well). We happily paid the £500 or so for the manpower over the setting up, the day and clearing up, and they were absolutely worth their weight in gold to make the day run smoothly.

We did help out with the setting up and clearing down, which did keep costs down a bit, and was really good fun as well - close family/local friends/bridesmaids stayed to help :)
  • Mrs_Huggett
    Options
    Whereabouts are you? Its the sort of thing I and many other offer, you could try googling, vintage wedding events as I think there are more of us in that field?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure