IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter before claim

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Feedback has been given on pepipoo, this must be your thread:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=108631&st=60&start=60

I post as SchoolRunMum (SRM) over there.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Kind_Of_Irritated
    Options
    I know you kind people must be wondering where I've been. Back now. Technical issues.

One big question: I have been advised that the Oct 2015 "period of grace" applies in private parking spaces.

http://www.racfoundation.org/media-centre/private-parking-grace-period-reaction

The 5 pics I have been sent of the car in my son's car park (by the other side) were ALL taken within a period of LESS THAN ONE MINUTE. There is also only a time on the ticket, not a period of time.

Is this a killer blow?
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2016 at 12:56PM
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Kind_Of_Irritated
    Options
    Yes, got all of that marvellous stuff in my draft. (Thanks Parking Prankster). But because my draft defence is now so long (like War & Peace) I am taking forever to hone it down. But please confirm if this is an important point to add - 10 minute rule. I haven't seen it mentioned on here before.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't read back through the thread, but grace periods tend to apply to overstay situations. Was the ticket for an overstay (timed from:to) or a 'trespass'?

I rather think you are clutching at straws, an unnecessary diversion from the real issues.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Kind_Of_Irritated
    Kind_Of_Irritated Posts: 227 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2016 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Who knows!? I'm confused.com

Thing is that RAC link says 10 minute rule applies anyway. I was in my son's car park. I have a permit (no time limit) but it was not showing.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If there are no timings shown by the PPC (i.e., 2 hours parking allowed but this was overstayed by 9 minutes) then how are you going to argue a period of grace applies?
    Well, if you don't, how do you expect others to second guess?

Simple questions. Simple answers required.

For how long was the car parked?
    Is there a parking time limit?
    If so, how long is it?
    Was the car parked beyond the time limit?
    How is the parking contravention described on the windscreen ticket/NtK?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 27 November 2016 at 6:01PM
    Options

Thing is that RAC link says 10 minute rule applies anyway. I was in my son's car park. I have a permit (no time limit) but it was not showing.

Yes there is a BPA Grace period, in the BPA CoP*, to allow drivers 'reasonable time' to read any signs and decide whether to park. That is not a defined period of time although common sense would say it's ten minutes at least (like the other 'grace period' to leave after allowed parking time, which is the only one which is defined). Also by taking photos and observing for a minute or so, the parking firm have failed to eliminate the possibility of mere unloading of something (which is your defence, isn't it?). Covered by rights of way in the car park.

But the Jopson case and Saeed v Plustrade and 'PACE v Mr N' and 'Link v Ms P' and all of those transcripts are your main evidence, because your son has primacy of contract and rights of way and easements that a third party cannot interfere with/unilaterally revoke. They are not even a party to the lease agreement, and as agents of the managing agent cannot introduce onerous rules & charges if that conflicts with the lease. Those other cases support this view and the first two (Jopson and Saeed) are appeal cases.

*and Link are not in the BPA AOS anyway. They are IPC, no appeal worth trying for consumers, no nothing!
  • Kind_Of_Irritated
    Kind_Of_Irritated Posts: 227 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2016 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Thanks again, Coupon-mad. Do you ever sleep? :A

Later today I hope to get my defence up here for you all to look through and probably help me distill it down.

I have another query though. The Management Board's secretary actually told my son in an email that ALL powers regarding deciding who had authority to "charge" car parkers (whether residents/visitors/non residents presumably) had been handed over to Link Parking.

All powers and authority? My son replied to him that that is not possible. If Link brings this argument up in court and says the Management Company's Secretary signed an agreement to this effect what is my response to this?

I realise this is for a later date when/if it goes to court. I imagine it is not worth mentioning this email silliness in my response.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 27 November 2016 at 6:03PM
    Options
    The Management Board's secretary actually told my son in an email that ALL powers regarding deciding who had authority to "charge" car parkers (whether residents/visitors/non residents presumably) had been handed over to Link Parking.
    Your response (helped by your son as the resident, showing the agreement he relied upon for himself and his visitors) would be that that's a classic example of derogation from grant. See the 'Saeed v Plustrade Ltd' transcript, it explains in detail that a landowner can't do this to the detriment of residents rights:

Here it is in full:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2001/2011.html

''34: The attitude of the defendants as revealed in past correspondence appears to have been.... “since we have the power to specify a parking area, it logically follows that we have the power to withdraw a specification or not to specify at all”. In my judgment this attitude represents a breach of the well-known and well-established principle that a grantor shall not derogate from his grant.

Though this principle is of general application, it has particular relevance on the sale or letting of land. Its rationale was explained by Nicholls LJ in Johnston & Sons Ltd v Holland [1998] 1 EGLR 264 at p 267 as follows:

‘A grantor having given a thing with one hand,’ as Bowen LJ put it in Birmingham, Dudley & District Banking Co v Ross, ‘is not to take away the means of enjoying it with the other’. ‘If A lets a plot of land to B,’ as Lord Loreburn phrases it in Lyttelton Times Co v Warners, ‘he may not act so as to frustrate the purpose for which in the contemplation of both parties the land was hired.’
    A little later Nicholls LJ said:

“In Megarry and Wade on the Law of Real Property, 5th ed, p 849, the view is expressed that in truth the doctrine is an independent rule of law. This approach was approved by Lord Denning MR in Molton Builders Ltd v City of Westminster (1975) 30 P&CR 182, at p 186. He stated the broad principle thus:

''.....if one man agrees to confer a particular benefit on another, he must not do anything which substantially deprives the other of the enjoyment of that benefit: because that would be to take away with one hand what is given with the other''
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure