Giblet's mortgage free journey

Options
Hi everyone,
After lurking on here for a while, I have decided to bite the bullet and officially join in....
I was an enthusiastic DFW, and posted frequently in my diary last year which I found such a good motivator; unfortunately, life got in the way and I didn't keep it up. I did stick with overpaying debt however, and am pleased to have very recently become debt free for the first time in my adult life :T
If anyone would like a bit more info about me, it's here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4944710&page=23

I am now a very excited MFW...I have been overpaying about £200 automatically since re-mortgaging from a 2yr 4.24% fix to a 5yr 2.89% fix (saving about £10 a day interest in the process).
DH and I are totally focussed on getting this mortgage gone early (and my 4 jobs are helping with this at present, lol).
We've managed to shave about 5mths off our 30yr term in OP's so far (not a bad start) and plan to try and reduce our 27 years remaining to about 10 :eek:

Is it possible.....lets try and see :p

(...secretly I'd like to pay it earlier, but must be sensible....)

Can't wait to learn even more hints and tips from you lovely people on here. Just made a £683 OP to round off the day in style (proceeds from 2 months of job 2 and a tilly tidy in the process - feeling brave!)

Must now resist rechecking mortgage balance and start to plan how to cut back further to maximise OP's.....

Gib xx
Debt remaining: :(
Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

Comments

• User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking forward to having you around Gib,

MvM
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello & welcome! How on earth you'll have time to post on here with 4 jobs though!!! Good luck on your journey x
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    :hello: Hello Giblet and welcome
    Just had to pop on and say Hello :)

Wow, 4 jobs, I have 1 with o/t at the moment and can hardly keep up posting, but hopefully catch up soon. Must run and get ready, going into work earlier this morning. Speak to you later. :)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Welcome to the madhouse 😉

Keep posting - it really helps.

Best wishes

Tilly

(4 jobs - I need a sleep just thinking about it 😚)
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome :D well done on becoming debt free too!

Looking forward to reading your diary and cheering you on :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • cat683
    cat683 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

Congratulations on becoming debt-free first of all!! I think that's fantastic already and good preparation for your mortgage free adventure :)
    I wish you all the best and will hopefully have time to follow your story. 4 jobs is good work! I used to have 3 and made good money, but gave that up to get a "better" job, just full-time. Kinda wish I had never done that now. I barely make half the money I used to and the job is pretty s**t.
    Go you!!! :)
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank you so much MvM, zcrat, AFK, Tilly, kitten and cat for the welcome...really nice of you.

Also, thanks for the nice messages about being debt free. I am so pleased, as it isn't something that, at one point, I ever thought would be possible. I've not always been really 'awful' with money if that makes sense, but I have thoughtlessly spent beyond my means (for a long time, because my means were very small, and hindered by 11+ years of studying plus the need to support family who struggled significantly). Now things are better, and I'm lucky to be in the position to earn more (hence the 4 jobs).

Similar to you cat, in December I'll be cutting back to a full time job (replacing 3 of my current part time ones) although I'll continue with a couple of extra bits here and there which should only take a few hours a week, and a bit more when I've marking / teaching to do. I'm sorry to hear that yours went a bit s***. Is there any going back or is that it? I hope it improves for you :(

The temptation at the minute tho is to do far too much (when I originally cut back to a 30hr job it was partly due to poor health and the idea that I should rest - since then I've probably not done a week with less than 50hrs...oops).

Ah well - shouldn't complain as it's allowing me to make all these lovely overpayments.

So current plan is to incorporate the ex-debt repayment of £300 into the mortgage OP, plus an extra £200 to find. When I move jobs, I'll be cutting about 300 miles a week from my commute, so am likely to add petrol money savings to this :)

This makes new monthly mortgage payment by fixed standing order: £1200 (£571 plus overpayment) which should allow us to pay off the mortgage in 10 years (15 years early). According to my most recent statement which was waiting for me today, we've shaved 9 months off already.....happy!

Received a cheque through the post for work that I'd forgotten I'd done (and didn't really expect to be paid for if I'm honest) so another £100.50 gone to the mortgage tonight....yay! Also booked 3mths worth of bank shifts (on days which I am technically off from job 1) so that'll all be going straight to the mortgage when I get paid for it. DH is in agreement that this is a good plan, as we can just about live within our joint salaries and continue to try to replenish our house renovation / emergency fund as it gets used bit by bit (we still don't have a useable living room after 2yrs of living in our lovely house, but that is another story....)

Must head off as DH needs taking to Tesco - poor love has a chest infection so antibiotics and lots of TLC needed.

Hope to catch up on diaries later

Gib xx

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi giblet welcome :) well done on getting debt free and also holding down four jobs, I feel seriously lazy :rotfl:

If you are already a successful Dfw I bet there are not many tips we can give you :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Thanks newgirly - I still have LOTS to learn from you guys (for example the unnecessary cream cake that just jumped into my trolley earlier on). I should make an OP for punishment, but will resist till tomorrow....
    I remember that there was a 'payment a day' challenge a while back - tempted to try and make a mortgage OP per day until I go away, and then see if I can carry it on again when I'm back :)
    Gib xx

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Welcome Giblet,:)

Well done on getting debt free
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure