Electric bill excessive . where do i go for help

Options

Comments

• suethedriver
    Options
    standard SC ROB unit rate 16.05/ 16.85
    st charge 10.96/11.50
    quarterly receipt of bill tariff.. ( though he never had one)

meter read 17th june 2015 130435
    meter read 16th june 2016 152638
    no meter change as far as we have been told .

( the gas bill ( npower) for the year ....boiler and hob seems ok at £856 for the year)
    he moved from this property in June this year so no access ourselves now.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Something sounds wrong with these readings - I think they should be 13043 and 15263 and the last unit after the decimal point should be ignored.

If so 2220 units
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • suethedriver
    Options
    i have a photo of the actual meter with the reading showing but dont know how to attatch on here
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can post it by uploading to a web hosting site such as tinypic, photobucket or imgur.
  • suethedriver
    Options
    tinypic.9com/r/35aos2a/9
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    k5029d.jpg
    From that picture and the meter type, it appears that the meter shows kWh used to two decimal places (not clear, but I looked up the documentation for a Polyphase meter). So the usage between the readings given would be 222kWh. Very small for a year and a lot less than the bill you've had!
    Did a meter reader take the readings, or did your son provide them? Presumably the latter, but nPower should still be able to investigate it, even if they no longer bill the energy for the building. There must be somebody billing against that meter now?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• suethedriver
    Options
    35aos2a.jpg
    the bill says the start reading was ours but must have been from the letting agency as . at the time of moving in, we didnt contact npower ,just got a welcome letter thing from them a few wekks later. the final reading was done by myself with the letting agent present.
    according to the online account it says the property is now occupied by new people but i am not 100% on this.
    i do appreciate all the help :) thankyou
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There appears to be something fundamentally wrong with the meter readings there. Hard to understand how the "our reading" on the bill fits in though. There is a meter reading man frequents here, maybe he can confirm how it should be read?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• suethedriver
    Options
    thankyou that would be helpful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills