Stephen's Journey to Mortgage freedom

Options

Comments

• lcfcstephen
    Options
    This weekend was hard, and we didn't do anything around the house! We did however manage to cook a roast (with leftovers for lunch today!) which was amazing! The first mortgage payment should be going out today, and LW's favourite job will be being applied for today - hoping she gets it!
    Also going to be going to get a couple of cupboards and hopefully a shoe rack today - hoping the measurements work out and we can get them - and that they're cheap!
    Mortgage Debt £53,879.68 as of 2nd July
    Help to Buy Equity Loan Debt £26,799
    Total Debt: £80,678.68 of £133,995 two bed house
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    Yesterday we went to get some furniture finally! Shoe rack for the hall way (was too tall so covers the light switch, but we've made do to make it work!) and we've also bought a storage thing for the bathroom as well as hooks and towel rails. Was all flat pack and so now need to put it all up!
    Also found out that we could do what we wanted with the flat, but that the couple we hoped might go in don't want to go in. So that plan is scuppered and we're still on the hook for the last two rental payments.
    First Mortgage Payment went out! :)
    Wanted to find out the balance, but it hadn't updated yesterday, hoping it will have updated today.
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    Yesterday was supposed to be a productive day, but a trip to the tip (still no bins) and for WiFi (still no WiFi) and then to the shops turned out to be quite late, but we also got caught up in the flash floods in Manchester. I went down a main road and suddenly water enveloped the car, struggled to restart the engine, and when I did cars kept sending waves over the bonnet. Eventually got clear, but was very scary with all the rain and lightning! Still managed to eat and put a piece of bathroom furniture up! Tonight we will hopefully do most of the rest, including the TV aerial!
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    The hall way and bathroom are basically done! We just have a few hooks to put up in the bathroom (the screws were just too long) but with both of these rooms I am happy to leave as is they are now (ish) until we decide to move out! Thats exciting news!
    Going to LW's family for the weekend because of a christening. Should be lots of fun, with lots of food, but we'll come back without the car as I was only insured to be able to move stuff to the new house.
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    It's been a busy few days with the weekend at LW's family, and then back to work with a 'Disaster Recovery' Day - where we test to see if we could take on another sites work as well as ours. So shattered at the moment!
    Found out that we won't get Wifi until the middle of October, and that the cable for the aerial in the roof isn't properly connected - that should be being sorted out tomorrow. Not been a great couple of days for that sort of news! But LW has an interview today! Hoping it all goes well!
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    LW had another interview today! Yesterday was with a recruitment agency, today was with a company, only a call centre job but at the moment we will take it, and it seems like it would be okay, apart from working every other weekend. She says the interview went well - we find out tomorrow, though she's hoping that another receptionist job that was suggested will turn out for the good.
    Done some more DIY - the bathroom is now done - hoping to get the downstairs bathroom towel rail, hooks on our bedroom door and curtains in the back bedroom done before the weekend - as my mother is coming to stay!
    We've spent quite a bit of money today as we are spending a weekend in London - tickets had already been bought to watch my American Football team and so we are now sorting out transport and accommodation. Accommodation will be cheaper than with a hotel - and we should hopefully be spending around £50 for train tickets - now just need to hope we don't spend too much whilst we're down there!
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    Finished all the DIY for the moment! (apart from a set of curtains) hoping that when LW gets a job we can start this back up again and start getting this house into a really nice state (it's nice at the moment!). Haven't found out yet if LW got the job yet, hoping to find out soon, so we will see what happens later in the day (hopefully!)
    The builders screwed me over by ignoring the regulations for solar panels meaning that we have to be on the lower rate for the Feed in Tariff because the solar panels were put on before the EPC certificate, not happy.
    Trying to decide if I should switch to the Collective October fix - comparison says it will cost me £36 more (but £30 cashback) and would mean that I'm fixed for longer. It's a hard call and I'm leaning towards going for it - as late as poossible!
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    LW didn't get the job (she didn't want it, but both still sad about it).
    We did buy a sofa - for 55% off the retail price, so hoping that comes soon! Not much happened with the house this weekend apart from that. Second Mortgage Payment and Overpayment will be coming out soon though. Hopefully LW will be employed soon as that will really help us, especially with getting the house the way we want it
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    H Stephen, popping in to say a belated welcome and best of luck :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • McTaggus
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on the new house! Good luck with your journey! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure