Is TSB about to become the next bank to slash savings rates?

Options

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Everyone being able to keep one account at 5% is better than customers having 1/2 accounts at a lower interest rate, surely.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Great, more useless speculation from MSE.

The Santander article turned out to be right (although the rate dropped further).
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Everyone being able to keep one account at 5% is better than customers having 1/2 accounts at a lower interest rate, surely.

Don't call me Shirley!:)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2016 at 10:06PM
    Options
    How many TSB Plus accounts do you have?

The same question for Halifax Reward?

And for BoS Vantage?

I'm guessing one of each? ;)

If more than one, then your altruism is to be commended.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Those with multiple accounts will be in the minority, so even if they were to change the T&Cs so that each individual could only receive benefits from one account, it would probably be insufficient to prevent a rate cut happening as well.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why do MSE staff post threads on top of ones that already exist 2 weeks after? Once the rate goes down, we'll get one main thread and 2-3 more from others who don't look and then 2 weeks later MSE will create a thread saying the rate has gone down. I just don't get it.
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hoc wrote: »
    Why do MSE staff post threads on top of ones that already exist 2 weeks after? Once the rate goes down, we'll get one main thread and 2-3 more from others who don't look and then 2 weeks later MSE will create a thread saying the rate has gone down. I just don't get it.

I think maybe when they post a news article, it automatically creates a thread on the forums. They have to create a news article in the first place because not everyone will read the forums and it can therefore be easy to miss. Just a guess mind..
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    They already know that - the rate you are currently getting of course (or more but...).

No need to help with their decision to reduce, no need to provide the statistics to back it up when they announce a reduction in interest as being acceptable in the current climate.

Let's face it, we know they're going to reduce the rate soon regardless of whether we complete the survey or not.

So we might aswell have some influence on what that rate will be.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    djpailo wrote: »
    I think maybe when they post a news article, it automatically creates a thread on the forums. They have to create a news article in the first place because not everyone will read the forums and it can therefore be easy to miss. Just a guess mind..

The thread is created manually, it's not an automatic process.

What I'd like them to do is link their article to the original thread(s):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5516532
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5516330

That way all the information/gossip is in one place and makes the forum less cluttered.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • TomJ
    TomJ Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They already have cut savings rates: I got a letter about it this week. The question is whether they're going to cut their current account rate, the honeytrap they hope will get people in the door to open those 0.05% (as they now are) savings accounts...
    I am not a financial advisor or other expert. All posts are purely my thoughts at the time for discussion, not advice. Bear in mind, even most of this disclaimer is ripped off another forum user. Please check out the facts first before doing anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure