Carers Allowance.

Due to start claiming JSA this week. Have filled-out the online forms in which I made mention that my spouse was not working, but did care for my mum.

When the lady from the DWP phoned me today to inform me that we both needed to attend, she mentioned that my spouse could claim carers allowance for looking after my mum (she basically does the washing, hoovers twice a week and walks the dog). I informed the DWP lady that my mum already claims CA but does not pay my spouse for the work she does, the DWP lady seemed to think that my spouse could still claim CA for looking after her.

Is this correct? (I do know the DWP sometimes get things wrong). If it is, then we will fill out the forms so my spouse will not have to sign on for JSA, only I would have to do that.
Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    patman99 wrote: »
    Due to start claiming JSA this week. Have filled-out the online forms in which I made mention that my spouse was not working, but did care for my mum.

When the lady from the DWP phoned me today to inform me that we both needed to attend, she mentioned that my spouse could claim carers allowance for looking after my mum (she basically does the washing, hoovers twice a week and walks the dog). I informed the DWP lady that my mum already claims CA but does not pay my spouse for the work she does, the DWP lady seemed to think that my spouse could still claim CA for looking after her.

Is this correct? (I do know the DWP sometimes get things wrong). If it is, then we will fill out the forms so my spouse will not have to sign on for JSA, only I would have to do that.

The person who does the caring is the one to claim CA, not the person being cared for so I'd assume your mother is claiming either DLA or PIP. In addition, it doesn't really sound as if your wife cares for her for a minimum of 35 hours a week, unless I've misunderstood.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    your wife would need to care for a minimum of 35 hours a week. walking the dog dint caring for your mum.

your mum wouldn't be claiming carers allowance ... she would need to be claiming DLA/PIP or AA
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    The AA rings a bell.
    I reckon she could easily up the care to 35+ hours a week if she counts all the time she spends keeping my mum company (she has been depressed since my dad passed away in Feb.)
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• patman99 wrote: »
    The AA rings a bell.
    I reckon she could easily up the care to 35+ hours a week if she counts all the time she spends keeping my mum company (she has been depressed since my dad passed away in Feb.)

And this is why there needs to be so much more scrutiny of CA claims.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for your mother, she may be getting additional payment on whatever benefit she is claiming. If you wife claims CA for looking after her your mother might lose money herself.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Isn't carer's allowance for giving personal care , rather than domestic ?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    teddysmum wrote: »

It's broadly given on the basis of caring for somebody 35 hours or more per week. The person being cared for must also be in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:
    • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    teddysmum wrote: »

There's some overlap in some cases; driving someone to a hospital appointment, for example, or doing shopping for them (if they can't get out to do it themselves). It's linked more to the disability benefit the caree receives (as that will have established the level of need the person has which in turn dictates the level of care that someone else provides).
  • teddysmum wrote: »

It also includes supervision as well as care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure