PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Skinflint's Christmas Challenge

Options
Hi,

First and foremost, does anyone else agree that it would be nice to have a separate Christmas forum for the ever-growing number of Chrissie threads?

Anyway, to the point ......... I have 2 sisters, and at Christmas I tend to do them each a 'goodie bag' of girlie stuff - you know the type, make up, smellies, sweet treats.

Having embraced the MSE lifestyle in preparation for next year's wedding, I have decided this year that, at worst, these items must all be free.  ;D  At best, they will actually MAKE me money, through extra loyalty points, survey payments etc.

So, have started off today in true MSE style in Boots (whilst buying BOGOFs of course) - 300 points for each purchase in the Astor cosmetics range, so cosmetic pencil sharpeners at £2.49 each were a great buy.

Can you let me know of any other little gems for my collection.

Thanks folks!

M.
:D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    An oldie but a goodie:

http://www.originalsource.co.uk/main/samples/index.asp

Register another person living at your address and get them 3 different flavors each!
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Marsie
    Marsie Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    :-[ Harrumph, was just trying that, but it says I'm already registered although it was a different person and a different email address.

Think I'll try my Mum's address instead and tell her in advance she's not to nick 'em!! ;)

M.
    :D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I do think it would be good to have all the Christmas stuff under one roof. It's going to happen whether we like it or not so we may as well make it quick and easy to look up all the Christmas tips.

I've been saving my points and vouchers from online surveys to help with the Christmas spends as well. This year (for the first time ever) I'm going to be sensible and not spend so much :o
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    If you've saved your tesco rewards vouchers, what about swapping them for a day out for someone as you get four times the value of the voucher, i don't know if they have any pampering days on offer but that would be good for your goody bag!
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    OK, this isn't exactly free - unless you can find a pot (try pound shops or - my favorite for pots and jars a charity shop) but it might be good for your Mum/ Mother in Law to be.

Take cuttings from any nice plants - find ones in your house, friends houses passing gardens :o, visit your local park etc.

If you shove it in the cutting gel stuff you get from the garden centre soon it should be strong enough to plant up into a nice pot for Xmas.

I'm not a good gardener and I find the gel stuff easy someone more greenfingered might know a cheaper way.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there are a few "print off a coupon" and get a free sample on the freebies board, i like these cos you can try before buying a full size one.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Options
    If you go to your local estee lauder counter they have an offer on where you can get 3 free samples of perfume.
    Just say you saw it advertised on there website,which it is.

Visit all the counters while you are there and ask if they have any samples and say you are using a competitors
    brand and would like to try some of there products.
    Repeat this in all big department stores and boots.

HTH
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you live in or near a town with department stores you can go to a few cosmetic counters and say that you are planning to change your skincare routine/seem to have developed a greasy (dry, sensitive.... whatever!) skin and would welcome a sample of something they recommend.

I live in London and used to go in Oxford St. and Bond St, giving each dept. store the same spiel, and I usually came back home with a bagful of samples, worth a fortune when added all together (now I do not use the stuff anymore so I use my time in different ways).

Register online for samples of Lancome and all the other big cosmetic houses, perfume houses etc and hope for freebies.

Try to organise a Virgin Vie or Body Shop class in your home, where you invite all your friends, then you get a free facial and if your friend buy stuff you get a commission in goods. With Virgin Vie there is NO obligation and NO pressure to buy (I know because I used to be one of their reps). I don't know with Body shop but I imagine it must be the same.

Make homemade cosmetics and essential oil mixes, there are plenty of recipes in this forum, online and in books that you can borrow from the library.

Good luck!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    toe seperators from boots springs to mind. is that still on??
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last xmas I remember seeing a xmas pot-porri mix at an extortionate price. Seem to remember it had pine cones, dried autumn leaves, dried orange slices and cinnamon sticks in it. Now know where to get pine cones and have got cinnamon sticks in. Can anyone help with the drying out of rest of items.
    Remember pot-pourri mix was in big cellaphone bag and tied with ribbon.
    This should be free or very cheap to make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure