Bitcoins

My husband recently passed away and has a number of bitcoins does anyone know how I can exchange them safely for cash?

Comments

• JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I haven't yet sold any myself, however this page contains detailed information.

http://www.coindesk.com/information/sell-bitcoin/

Just be sure you understand what's happening before you execute.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is a long previous thread all about Bitcoins.
    You may find some useful information on that.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4513615&highlight=bitcoins
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be aware that there are lots of scams involving Bitcoin. So absolutely double and triple-check who you're cashing in the coins with. It's easy for Bitcoin exchanges to hide their activities and even previously reliable ones have just run off with people's money.
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you actually have access to the bitcoins? Bitcoins are just data on a computer. In other words, do you know where they are stored (USB stick, on a PC, mobile app, in the cloud) and have all the necessary passwords/etc to get them? It's not enough to have bitcoins in a 'wallet' if you don't have means of opening the wallet.
  • jsinc
    jsinc Posts: 306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Subject to how much you understand about bitcoins and how many there are, localbitcoins is simple enough via online transfers with escrow (I've used it). Don't meet up to exchange in person, or get involved in any private 'deals'.

I'd recommend asking close family & friends for help from someone more familiar, but here's a link to uk exchanges: http://www.coindesk.com/information/buy-bitcoin-uk/
  • Yes, I do have access to everything which is why I would like to sell them for cash.
  • Bajjo
    Bajjo Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry for your loss.

I'm biased but they're worth holding on to, personally I'd give it 6 months then think about selling.

If you really want to sell LocalBitcoins is your best option. They work as a third party escrow to lessen the risk of being scammed (still possible, so be careful and trade with reputable vendors only).

LocalBitcoins have lowered their fees to 0.5% for September so it's a good time to sell in that sense.
    Bitcoin. If you haven't heard of it, you have now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure