Options
14567810»

Comments

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    It's that time of year again and I'm back for advice!

Financial situation has changed for the worse this year as we are getting married in August so I have saved next to nothing and had to dip into my savings considerably.

Updated finances:

£49k in cash and ISA's
    £36k workplace pension
    £34k salary

£136k mortgage (on a £360k house)
    £2.5k interest free credit card (another 20 months to pay off so not a pressing concern).
    £12k student loan

No great changes in the past year other than a horrible dip in cash savings and the credit card debt so my only question is do you think it is worth upping my workplace pension contributions? Currently contribute 16% and considering going up to 20% which would be an extra £113/month into the pot for a cost of only £67 net pay. The increase won't change my employer conts (max is 16%) but I am going along the lines of contributing the same percentage as my age (36 next month) in a vain attempt to catch up.

The only other change of note is that my fiance changed jobs and halved her salary which is a blow, but doesn't affect our ability to pay the bills and me to have £500/month left over once the wedding is out of the way. However, this means she is no longer in the Teacher's pension scheme and cannot save a penny after bills, hence my desperation to squirrel away as much as possible into a pension.

Any advice (other than 'get higher paying jobs'!!) appreciated.

Any more advice before my window closes?!
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do not worry :)
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    True, but I am willing to take the risk that the extra tenner/month into the pension will grow more than the 1.75% interest it will incur on the loan.

Your tenner might end being worth less.
  • adonis10
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Do not worry :)

Easier said than done, really would rather not be scraping the pennies when I am 70!
  • adonis10
    Options
    Bit the bullet and went for a minor 2% increase to 18% (34% total). Won't cost much and every little helps etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure