Can I afford to live alone? Advise need please

Options
Currently I live with my partner but have been looking to move out but I'm not sure what I'd be entitled to claim. I've been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Also known as Aspergers Syndrome). I've been in receipt of ESA with support component since March 2015 after I came out of work due to anxiety issues.

I'd like to move near my mum but the cheapest rent is £525 per month. I cannot share with anyone as this would cause me as much stress as I'm having to deal with now from my partner and this is the reason I want to leave him. I'm wondering if I would be entitled to any other benefits as if not it doesn't seem possible for me to afford to go as I would need to top up my housing benefit by at least £161 per month if I live near my mum. I don't feel ill be able to cope with life not near my mum as I won't be able to afford to keep my car. I don't want to wait for a council properly as it takes too long and I can't bear the rows with my partner. I just want a quick clean break but feel trapped by finances and my inability to work at present. I receive ESA £473 per month so my maximum outgoing would be like this, which I think would be really hard to stick to:

Monthly Expenditure
Rent top up £161
Gas and electricity £150
Loan £68
Dog food £34
Groceries and other expenses £60

I cannot bring my dog food bill down as my dog has allergies and digestive issues so needs to be eating a high quality food. I've still got another year to go on my loan. I think I've underestimated the cost of gas and electric because my mum said hers is £200. Unless I'm entitled to more benefits I don't think its possible for me to move out. Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Your gas and electricity seems ridiculously high. Mines is £58 per month.

Have you ever applied for pip?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My gas and electric is 50 per month in a 3 bed terrace, so unless your mum has the heating cranked up all the time, lord knows what she's spending it on.
    I think your 60 pm on food is also very unrealistic (as in way too low) and there is a lot missing. TV licence, council tax (would this be paid for you), phone/internet, travel, are you not buying clothes ever again? Other dog expenses such as the vet.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    After rent and bills, you need to be looking at clearing about £500 a month IMO as a single person, backed up by someone in my office.

We're both smokers so maybe slightly less.

Food should about £120 a month (+ £10 for the dog, so £160)
    Gas/Elec about £50 a month
    TV License/Internet/Phone £50 a month
    Travel from £20-30 a month without a car, whatever the insurance is, +£50/month maintainence budget + 12p/mi in fuel if yes.

There's £250 at the bare minimum.

Add on clothes, the rent top up, loan repayment, whatever you'll have to pay towards CT (there will be something) and a number of other things, and the figures probably don't add up at all.
    💙💛 💔
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some suggestions (not sure if they are all feasible)

1. Look at the descriptors for PIP (care and mobility needs) and see if you are eligible. Go to CAB/welfare adviser for some help with this. If you were awarded PIP then this may entitle you to extra money in the form of disability premiums with your ESA as well as the PIP money which may give you the ability to afford to live on your own.
    2. If PIP is a possibility consider going to live with your mum whilst the application is going through and then you can research possible rental places. Getting a place to rent is not easy when claiming benefits so it may take a while to find somewhere. Have you got any savings for first month and deposit up front?
    3. If you find somewhere to live and have an application for PIP going through then you could try applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment through your local council to 'top up' your rent whilst waiting for PIP outcome. (as well as claiming HB and CT reduction) Ask your local council about this. DHP may also cover your deposit/rent up front/moving costs.
    4. When looking for somewhere to live unless you can provide a guarantor or 6 months rent up front then your choice may be very limited, especially if going through the usual letting agent. Try asking people you know/family/look in local newspapers/shop windows for a place to rent.
    5. Could you do any part time job? You are allowed to work up to 15 hrs a week and subject to a weekly limit on earnings doing Permitted work under ESA. You would need to seek permission for this from Job Centre Plus. Google for more information. The money from Permitted work is yours to keep and does not affect ESA, HB or CT reduction. Just another option.

Good luck with everything.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about going back to live with your mother?
  • Bananas123
    Options
    hello,

i am in a similar boat looking to move out,

basically for a person like myself (ESA) without PIP, you are going to be wanting to look at properties around £350 p/m, unless subsidised from somewhere or not enough money left to live on (as far as i can tell).

looking around ct, waste and water is like 1.5k per year (although i got from scotland), i dunno leccy etc £80 p/m guessing?, then food, £40 p/w or something (???),

surely forgetting things (inc move cost), and that's like 8.5k...

esa and single bedroom rate is like 8.5k per year...

PIP is an extra £50 p/w + i think, plus you are eligable for single person housing benefit, ALOT more options if eligable, could live much more comfortably.

my (families) dog has sensitive stomach, but does well on skinners maintenance kibble, then proper jellied meat (no concoctions) if you want a try ?, you can get little 1kg sample bags.

but if you stick around price watching etc, you can sometimes get 15kg for around ~£15 / multibuys.

regards.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your dog is a drain on your resources and having a dog will make it harder to rent somewhere you can afford. You don't list pet insurance on your outgoing so I assume you will struggle to afford veterinary care it it falls ill. So while this would be difficult, I would suggest you consider rehoming your dog first before looking to rehome yourself.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Evangeline1971
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I may have to sit it out for a while as I'm not entitled to PIP and my mum won't let me move in with her. I think Bananas123 is right about there not being enough money to live on. Also I'd forgotten to include water rates in my budget. It's just not possible financially :(
  • Evangeline1971
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Your dog is a drain on your resources and having a dog will make it harder to rent somewhere you can afford. You don't list pet insurance on your outgoing so I assume you will struggle to afford veterinary care it it falls ill. So while this would be difficult, I would suggest you consider rehoming your dog first before looking to rehome yourself.
    Tacpot I'm sure you mean well but I'd never consider rehoming my dog. There's nobody in this world who means more to me than him and he's the only reason I haven't ended my miserable existence as there's nothing else worth living for. At present I have means of borrowing money if needed for vet care but if I left this wouldn't be an option. However I would be entitled to PDSA treatment which only costs a £5 donation which I know my mum would help out with. It's all irrelevant anyway though as even without my dog it still seems unaffordable.
  • Lamentation
    Options
    The MSE website has a budget planner which will allow you to more accurately identify your actual living costs - as other's have mentioned, you have missed off some types of expenses.

You could apply for social housing - obviously, in some areas it's near impossible to secure - the council can't even house the homeless but in other areas, it might be achievable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure