How much will I be charged for Expedia or Trivago overseas hotel

I'm planning a trip to Australia in a few months time.

I've been checking out hotels using Expedia and Trivago, the currency is in pounds.

I was just wondering if I find a hotel I like and it costs £900, can I pay for this with my debit card and how much would I be charged?

Would it be £900 or do I have to pay in Australian dollars?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Are the prices you are looking at , payable up front, or pay at Hotel?

If it is up front, then you will be charged the £900 straight away , if at the hotel, it will be the Aus dollar at the exchange rate of that day.

If paying up front, it would be wiser to pay on a credit card, as you will have more protection in case of issues that way. Some debit cards are better than others when it comes to issues.
  • I think it is pay up front not entirely sure.

It states 'All prices include taxes & fees and are quoted in British pounds sterling.'

I don't have a credit card at the moment but I think it is ATOL protected, not entirely sure what that means.
  • I've never used expedia, but have used Hotels.com which is a company they own [also has a much better loyalty scheme and cashback offer]. When you click book it should give you an option to pay now or pay at the hotel. If you pay now it'll be the currency your quote is in, if you pay later it'll be in the hotel's local currency.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think it is pay up front not entirely sure.

It states 'All prices include taxes & fees and are quoted in British pounds sterling.'

I don't have a credit card at the moment but I think it is ATOL protected, not entirely sure what that means.

You won't be getting an ATOL protected holiday if you are only booking accommodation.

ATOL is a scheme that offers protection to consumers who book an air inclusive holiday or a flight plus another holiday component from an ATOL licence holder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure