PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

feed a family of 4, almost vegan, on a rather small budget! Old Style!

Options

Comments

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    flipper_72 wrote: »
    Not sure if it has already been mentioned but tonight was pizza for us, I but the 10kg chappatti flour from tesco (£3) and Aldi yeast for the bases, concentrated tomato paste and a sprinkle of herbs then top with anything you fancy. Mozarella from Aldi is 44p and 2.5 topped enough pizza to feed 4 adults a child and enough for another meal for 1.

:eek:its £5 in my tesco!!!!!!

but the pizza recipe will be used every friday, and the littlies can add their own toppings
  • flipper_72
    flipper_72 Posts: 671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    missymoo81 wrote: »
    :eek:its £5 in my tesco!!!!!!

but the pizza recipe will be used every friday, and the littlies can add their own toppings

I maybe got it on a deal! that's a massive difference!
    I added a small glug of oil tonight and the pizzas were praised as the best ever :) will have to remeber to do it in the future, also I only used 1 yeast sachet instead of 2 which decreases costs (6-700g- ish flour as I added too much water and had to add more flour).

ETA
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Flour/Tesco_Medium_Chapatti_Flour_5Kg.html?TrackingCode=11.ylyOHUNL1k6JfwdU_V5aBA
    5kg on offfer
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Missy, I can't remember how old your children are, but would suggest that you speak to either health visitor / school nurse or local children's centre. They will have access to dietician's specific advice about vitamin supplements, and will be able to tell you which are best value.

As you don't mind met in principle for your family, I would suggest considering a Sunday roast. I think that cheaper cuts of meat, pot or slow roasted can be very good value. Sliced thinly on Sunday, then cold with jacket potatoes, chopped into stir-fries, little bits into risottos, etc. etc. or even freeze the slices in gravy for re-heating next Sunday. You may find that doing this every so often might suit you all.
  • missymoo81
    Options
    flipper_72 wrote: »
    I maybe got it on a deal! that's a massive difference!
    I added a small glug of oil tonight and the pizzas were praised as the best ever :) will have to remeber to do it in the future, also I only used 1 yeast sachet instead of 2 which decreases costs (6-700g- ish flour as I added too much water and had to add more flour).

ETA
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Flour/Tesco_Medium_Chapatti_Flour_5Kg.html?TrackingCode=11.ylyOHUNL1k6JfwdU_V5aBA
    5kg on offfer

Thank you, still 10kg for £5 is really good, as I still have a little spare money from this months budget, I may stock up and get a bag tomorrow!

Jackyann, I have at the moment included a huge gammon ham, which would feed the three of them for at least 3 roasts and some left over for carbonara etc. I don't think I'm going to get away with a meatless roast. And thanks for the advice re vitamins, will speak to the gp or someone, children are 3 and 4, so not sure they fall under the health visitor?!
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Just thinking:

snacks will be butterfly buns, jam tarts, jammy thumb biscuits, scones, flapjacks and drop scones.......
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely if under 5 you will be able to access Health Visitor advice. On the whole GPs don't tend to know about vitamin supplements etc, they are mostly geared towards illness.
    A HV will either know, or be able to quickly access dietician advice. It does vary in different parts of the country, but you should have a HV contact number in the red book.
    You could also try going to NHS Choices and type vegan diet in the search box. Armed with information about what vitamins are needed, you can ask the pharmacist about the cheapest supplements - they will sell you a generic type, not a fancy branded one.

However, you may think that they don't need supplements. They should be having basic vitamin supplements up to 5 years (ask at the Children's Centre if they are entitled to these for free). Vegan children need other supplements, as you have said, but yours are eating meat some of the time. I'd discuss with HV or dietician before buying any.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    missymoo81 wrote: »
    Aldi
    frozen garden peas 69 ea x 2 1.38
    self raising flour 45p
    Strong white flour 75 ea x 2 1.50
    granulated sugar 45p
    british white potatoes 1.15 ea x2 2.30
    sultanas 84p
    mens deodorant 79p
    plain flour 45p ea x2 90p
    frozen sweetcorn 85p
    baked beans 23p ea x8 1.84
    kidney beans 25p ea x 6 1.50
    passata 35p ea x 2 70p
    tomato puree 37p
    carrots 1kg 41p ea x 9 3.69
    washing up liquid 79p
    shampoo OH 59p
    shampoo me 35p
    swede 75p ea x 3 2.25
    semi milk 6 pt 1.29ea x 5 6.45
    10 large british eggs 75p
    vegetable oil 95p
    tuna chunks 53ea x 2 1.06
    rich tea biscuits 25 ea x 4 1.00
    salt and vinegar crisps x 6 75 ea x 2 1.50
    instant noodles 18p
    deodorant 79p
    garlic x 4 bulbs 95p
    kitchen towel 99p
    chedder 3.49
    natural yogurt 500g 45 ea x 4 1.80
    washing liquid 1.79
    value rice 4o ea x 2 80p
    bin bags 95p
    tampons 85p
    wild rocket 89 ea x 4 3.56
    pears 1.09ea x 7 7.63
    pasta 29p
    onions 39 ea x 2 7.63
    roll on deodorant 59p
    wholemeal bread 36 ea x 6 2.16
    mushrooms 750g 1.59ea x 2 3.18
    ground coffee 1.49ea x 3 4.47
    satsumas 1.35ea x 2 2.70
    spinach 450g 1.35ea x 4 5.40
    chopped tomatoes 30 ea x 8 2.40
    butter BEANS 33 ea x 4 1.32
    tortilla wraps 69 ea x 2 1.39
    malt wheats 89 ea x 4 3.56
    peppers 700g 99 ea x 2 1.98
    sweet potato 1kg 85 ea x 2 1.70
    toothpaste 135ml 0.39p

Tesco
    butternut squash 90 ea x 2 1.80
    baby bath 50p
    bananas 15 ea x 30 4.50
    custard 17 ea x 2 0.34
    value spaghetti 0.20
    yeast 65p
    syrup 1.18
    red split lentils 2kg 3.25
    lasagne sheets 0.29
    brown sauce 0.29
    ketchup 0.42
    veg stock cubes 30 ea x 2 0.60
    peanut butter 65 ea x 2 1.30
    stuffing mix 40p
    oats 1kg 75 ea x 6 4.50
    pitta bread 6 35p
    pink lemonade 2l 40p
    value tea 40s 25 ea x 2 50p
    vitalite spread 1.00
    pepperoni 1.00
    gammon joint 1.3kg 4.49
    tomatoes 500g 69 ea x 3 2.07
    value soap 25p
    1 lt bath soak 85p
    value razors 30 ea x 2 60p
    press on towels 15p
    hair mousse 1.00
    food wrap 60p
    value sponges 8 40p
    thin bleach 2lt 29p
    loo roll 9 rolls 2.00 ea x 3 6.00
    value mixed frozen veg 1.16kg 89p
    frozen brocoli 1.00

home bargains
    chick peas 23 ea x 12 2.76

£136.66

Hi again Missy :)

i think your shopping list is great! Much healthier than mine on most weeks! I need to cut out the junk food, and that'll cut my prices down.
    I tend to think if it's vegan, i can eat it..that includes choc chip hob nobs and salt and vinegar crisps :rotfl:

Re getting the children calcium and B12. I am not sure about the B12..i just tend not to wash my vegetables or fruit and think i'll get B12 by eating the dirt :rotfl: (the B12 you get from meat actually comes from the soil and grass they eat).
    But my children don't drink milk and i just make sure that they get as much calcium in other forms as possible. Mainly greens, some beans and fortified foods.

Hopefully this link will help you :)
    https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/vitamins-minerals-and-nutrients/calcium
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Hi again Missy :)

i think your shopping list is great! Much healthier than mine on most weeks! I need to cut out the junk food, and that'll cut my prices down.
    I tend to think if it's vegan, i can eat it..that includes choc chip hob nobs and salt and vinegar crisps :rotfl:

Re getting the children calcium and B12. I am not sure about the B12..i just tend not to wash my vegetables or fruit and think i'll get B12 by eating the dirt :rotfl: (the B12 you get from meat actually comes from the soil and grass they eat).
    But my children don't drink milk and i just make sure that they get as much calcium in other forms as possible. Mainly greens, some beans and fortified foods.

Hopefully this link will help you :)
    https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/vitamins-minerals-and-nutrients/calcium

Interested to read that comment re B12 coming from soil and grass.

That seems to tally with the way U.S. herbalist Susun Weed makes a point of telling people NOT to wash their fruit/veg/etc before eating it - as she states that would be washing away some beneficial stuff. Obviously that wouldnt apply to chemically-grown food - as one needs to wash off all the stuff that shouldnt be on it (eg pesticides). But - that does make sense to me for organic food.

Do you have links to any research on that please? As Susun Weed is distinctly iconoclastic:) - but doesnt tend to be very "precise" or mentioning the research she has come across to back up things sometimes.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Interested to read that comment re B12 coming from soil and grass.

That seems to tally with the way U.S. herbalist Susun Weed makes a point of telling people NOT to wash their fruit/veg/etc before eating it - as she states that would be washing away some beneficial stuff. Obviously that wouldnt apply to chemically-grown food - as one needs to wash off all the stuff that shouldnt be on it (eg pesticides). But - that does make sense to me for organic food.

Do you have links to any research on that please? As Susun Weed is distinctly iconoclastic:) - but doesnt tend to be very "precise" or mentioning the research she has come across to back up things sometimes.

No idea who Suan Weed is, I'll have to Google her, she sounds interesting!

I am not sure of where to find research on it, other than to look at NutritionFacts.org and search for B12. Dr Michael Greger carries out a lot of Nutrition reseach and as a result of his studies, is Plant Based.

You could also look at research done by T.Colin Campbell, who is one of the authors of The China Study (the biggest scientific study carried out on the Plant Based Diet) and also a biochemist who does a lot of research on nutrition on long term health.
    They are both themselves Plant Based, based on the research they have done (and published).

I can't get free access to any of their studies (you have to pay) but you could buy The China Study, which is available on Amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472556597&sr=8-1&keywords=the+china+study+book

I hope this helps a little.
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Just quickly popping in, does anyone know how to change the title, it's more of s budgeting thing I guess than meal ideas just wanted to be accurate. Thanks xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure