Dixons Duty Free Stores

Options
Hi Guys, I was wondering anyone could help me.

I'm flying to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and was wondering how the Dixons duty free shop works with flights inside the EU.

I seem to remember that duty free was stopped for EU travel… ??? Or am I getting confused?

Last time I went to the Dixons store (just past the security control at Gatwick there were some pretty cheap Ipods & other electricals, are these prices for people on all flights? Or does it depend on if your flying outside of the EU?

Hope you can help!
Cheers!
Trist

Comments

• Baz-Bee
    Baz-Bee Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Some goods in “duty free” can only be bought by people flying outside the EU. However, I believe that at Gatwick all post security “tax free” shopping is avaialble to everyone. Check here: http://www.baa.com/main/airports/gatwick/shopping_eating_frame.html

I have an old Dixons Tax/Duty Free Brochure and they recommend that you call the store at the airport before you fly if you are interested in something specific. Apparently they can also order it for you to be collected if it is not in stock or stocked. Also they will store it for your return if you do not want to take it with you.

A couple of years back I bought a Sony Digital camcorder at Edinburgh at Dixons tax free and I was only flying to Gatwick! Was on offer, cost half high street price, did not have to pay for 12 months and, because I did not have anything with my address on for the finance agreement (to get 12 months free) they delivered it to my house special delivery arriving on Tuesday morning when only bought Sunday evening. My view of Dixons on High Street is normally rip off merchants, but in this case they cannot be faulted.

If you want to call Dixons tax free at Gatwick, the numbers in the brochure I have are:

South Terminal - 01293 569 509
    North Terminal - 01293 569 737
  • AndyMe
    AndyMe Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    The stuff in Dixons at the airport isn't duty free it is so called tax free, and anyone can buy it. Basically it is just a lower price than in the high street stores. It is rare that you will not be able to get the same items cheaper on-line from elsewhere.

You can buy duty free goods in the duty free shop (alcohol and tobacco products) that can only be bought if you are travelling out of the EU.

Just a thought - if Dixons stuff is "tax free" how do foreign nationals reclaim the tax they've paid on it which will be zero?
  • Trist_3
    Trist_3 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Baz-Bee wrote:
    Some goods in “duty free” can only be bought by people flying outside the EU. However, I believe that at Gatwick all post security “tax free” shopping is avaialble to everyone. Check here: http://www.baa.com/main/airports/gatwick/shopping_eating_frame.html

I have an old Dixons Tax/Duty Free Brochure and they recommend that you call the store at the airport before you fly if you are interested in something specific. Apparently they can also order it for you to be collected if it is not in stock or stocked. Also they will store it for your return if you do not want to take it with you.

A couple of years back I bought a Sony Digital camcorder at Edinburgh at Dixons tax free and I was only flying to Gatwick! Was on offer, cost half high street price, did not have to pay for 12 months and, because I did not have anything with my address on for the finance agreement (to get 12 months free) they delivered it to my house special delivery arriving on Tuesday morning when only bought Sunday evening. My view of Dixons on High Street is normally rip off merchants, but in this case they cannot be faulted.

If you want to call Dixons tax free at Gatwick, the numbers in the brochure I have are:

South Terminal - 01293 569 509
    North Terminal - 01293 569 737
    Many thanks for your response. You've just about answered all my questions!!!

I'll give them a call.

Cheers!
    Trist
  • The_Lambton_Worm
    Options
    A word of warning. I wanted a basic GameBoy so i priced one up in Dixons at Stanstead airport last year. It was £110. When i got back home, Sunderland, i priced it at the Dixons at the local retail park and it was £99.99.

This year i enquired about a Samsung D500 in Dixons at newcastle airport and they quoted me £50 more than what you could buy the same sim free handset from Carphone Warehouse.

There may well be bargains but i'd check before you tavel.
    Vedra Nativa
  • Baz-Bee
    Baz-Bee Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    A word of warning. I wanted a basic GameBoy so i priced one up in Dixons at Stanstead airport last year. It was £110. When i got back home, Sunderland, i priced it at the Dixons at the local retail park and it was £99.99.

This year i enquired about a Samsung D500 in Dixons at newcastle airport and they quoted me £50 more than what you could buy the same sim free handset from Carphone Warehouse.

There may well be bargains but i'd check before you tavel.

If flying from a BAA airport, I believe they have a price promise that will refund if you find cheaper or will take anything back up to 3 months after purchase. Check the www.baa.com website for full details.

And yes, I'd always check out the web and high street price of anything i was considering buying before travelling. there is nothing worse than buying the bargain and seeing it ££££'s cheaper later.

The camcoder I bought never ever got as low as the price I paid for it, even online. Closest when it was becoming old model was still £150 more expensive. And when I bought it I saved nearly £600 on high street price and £400 off online price! Perhaps I just hit the right offer, at the right time in the right place?
  • 008Ken_2
    008Ken_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Check out the website https://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk , still underconstruction but it lets you order a catalogue or find out shop phone numbers so you can price what you are after and pre-order and pick it up on your way out.

However if you are flying to Amsterdam Schipol is a huge airport and you may find some bargains there, although that would be on the way back.
    :rotfl:
  • markmat
    markmat Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    AndyMe wrote:
    It is rare that you will not be able to get the same items cheaper on-line from elsewhere.
    I'm sure their pricing was better when they first opened the 'Tax Free' stores. In the last couple of years though it's just getting silly. Whatever you do, don't even consider buying a memory card in there :rolleyes:

The only thing I've bought there which I think was a good deal was my iPod a couple of years ago. I basically only saved the VAT on it (£50 at the time), but since you won't really find anyone discounting the price of iPods it's a good deal.
  • Trist_3
    Trist_3 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    markmat wrote:
    I'm sure their pricing was better when they first opened the 'Tax Free' stores. In the last couple of years though it's just getting silly. Whatever you do, don't even consider buying a memory card in there :rolleyes:

The only thing I've bought there which I think was a good deal was my iPod a couple of years ago. I basically only saved the VAT on it (£50 at the time), but since you won't really find anyone discounting the price of iPods it's a good deal.
    Thanks for all your feedback guys!
  • bargaindoctor
    Options
    bought something recently from a dixons tax free shop at the airport. i am a bit confused by the policy. on the dixons tax free site it says must return within 28 days unused and unopened. or is this for dixons stores in general? I was told when I purchased that I have 90 day and can have used it as long as it is in good condition then i can return it to any dixons store.. on the site it says must be back to a airport store or to post it to them via special delivery.

would appreciate any enlightment on this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure