Car Insurance - how to describe where kept overnight

Options
Trying to work out the best description for where my car is being kept overnight.

I am a university student who lives in a large house owned by the university. The access to the house is via a small car park where I intend to keep my car. The car park has a gate which requires authorisation to enter through, but opens automatically from the inside and there is an unlocked pedestrian gate next to it. The car park is used by a few other students and also staff during the day. Beyond the car park there are two parking spaces immediately in front of the house, but these are reserved for a particular staff member.

Options I've considered are:

Drive - maybe? But I would think that more accurately describes the spaces in front of the house, not the car park adjacent to it. Although Allianz say this is "a short road leading from a public road to a house or garage on your property" which is arguably true as you have to pass through the carpark to reach the house form the road.

Private property - maybe? But Allianz describe this as "any private land not at your address where your car is kept", which I'm not sure fits, as it is at my address.

Locked Compound - I don't think this is accurate as it can be accessed on foot and driven out of without passing through a locked gate .

Public car park - it is not open to the public at large.

Work car park - it is not at work.

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to what this counts as? Or should I just phone the insurer?

Thanks!

Comments

• PinkGladioli
    Options
    I would ring them and explain even if it takes an afternoon ringing round a few different insurers, you don't want to ever be in the situation that you have to claim and they say you've been dishonest.
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would hazard a guess at "Driveway", but give them a call and ask. They will decide which from their list is most suitable and advise accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure