PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat Well for Less...Live on MSE

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    catkins wrote: »
    It's not as big as the bag on offer in Tesco though.

I've got the prices on "mysupermarket.com".

There seems to be a quorn mince battle on the go...:rotfl:...you guys are awesome. :A
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Maybe have one week a month where you eat from the cupboards / freezer? I'm sure I have enough to do several meals - it's always good to avoid the shops now and again.

Thanks for this bossy moo (what a great username you have!) but our cupboards usually run pretty low before we go shopping. I've been meaning to try and stockpile something for a while, just in case we get poorly or something and can't face the shops, I'll get onto that another time. I think it's because we always meal plan fro what we have in the cupboards and freezer.

I do however have a pack of tofu that's been sat in the cupboard for quite some time. Maybe I'll include that in the next meal plan. ;)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Maybe have one week a month where you eat from the cupboards / freezer? I'm sure I have enough to do several meals - it's always good to avoid the shops now and again.

This is a great idea. Thank you. I need to do this. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feebie wrote: »
    I mostly use astonish cleaning products now - a really wide variety (I know not really necessary to have different products for different jobs but I like to!), cheap (I get from home bargains, the range or ocado) and totally cruelty free.

I've just started using dry tvp mince and chunks (from Holland and Barrett) to replace frozen veggie mince / chunks. I find the mince nice, although the texture is 'finer' than most frozen minces. The chunks I am less sure of although I'm persevering as they are so much cheaper! Also, use lentils a lot to make chilli and bolognese.

Good luck!

I didn't know Astonish products are cruelty free. I will start buying them now if that's the case.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to re-watch the Eat Well For Less series on iplayer, I know I am doing ok compared to the families they have on this show but I have still picked up tips. I am now using MySupermarket to source the cheapest veggie sausages to make a veggie toad in the hole.

I have seen the TVP mince in Holland and Barrett and was curious about it. Please don't judge me too much with what I'm about to say (I am a bit unconfident in the kitchen) but would I just cook it as i would quorn mince? Or does it need to soak or something first? Please don't judge me! :rotfl:
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Feebie
    Feebie Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I didn't know Astonish products are cruelty free. I will start buying them now if that's the case.
    They are fab - labeled vegan and with the leaping bunny. I use their washing up liquid, non-bio liquid, oxyclean, various spray products plus liquid soap. Think I may be a tad obsessed :o
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The instructions will be on the bag of TVP; but usually it suggests soaking before using as normal mince.

Denise
  • Feebie
    Feebie Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    This thread has inspired me to re-watch the Eat Well For Less series on iplayer, I know I am doing ok compared to the families they have on this show but I have still picked up tips. I am now using MySupermarket to source the cheapest veggie sausages to make a veggie toad in the hole.

I have seen the TVP mince in Holland and Barrett and was curious about it. Please don't judge me too much with what I'm about to say (I am a bit unconfident in the kitchen) but would I just cook it as i would quorn mince? Or does it need to soak or something first? Please don't judge me! :rotfl:

I've just used some in a chilli - did 30 grams of dry mince per person, which I think is probably too much. To prepare, add boiling water and leave to soak for 5 minutes before adding to a sauce. I think it tastes fine and doesn't use up valuable freezer space!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Feebie and Joedenise :) I will look to give it a try.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • june89
    june89 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    Hiding the supermarket names... I think it started when people were trying to get glitches under the radar. But I used to work in retail marketing and trust me, they don't need to google - they're well aware of MSE. :D

I'd ditto what others have said about cutting back on Quorn. I rarely use it in veggie meals now (although I still love their peppered steak!) and use lentils, mushrooms and veggies for bulk. The value bags of peppers are great, I assume most supermarkets do them but I know Sainsbury's are 90p (from memory) for at least 4-5 large peppers which I add to everything.

I use Tesco Value soya milk and have never had it curdle, although I do warm it before adding espresso to make homemade lattes. Don't know how it fairs in other forms of coffee as I don't have them. But it's only 59p a litre, and even fussy DH hasn't complained about it. I will occasionally buy the branded nut milks, but only when they're reduced to £1/litre or less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure