Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Cleaning gutters - how often and how much?

New Post Advanced Search

Cleaning gutters - how often and how much?

11 replies 6.4K views
CallejaCalleja Forumite
183 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
How often should I be getting my gutters cleaned? Been in my house for 3 years and never done it...I did once ask my window cleaner if he could do it but he said he couldn't and I've never pursued it since!

I have checked when its raining and I can't see any problems but I suspect its something I should be doing...so how often should I be doing it and how much can I expect to pay?

Does it make any difference if I am mid-terrace?

Thanks!

Replies

• keith969keith969 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Mine need cleaning every year, but I have a few trees around and they fill the gutters up with leaves.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • david1951david1951 Forumite
    431 posts
    ✭✭
    At least once a year, and preferably/additionally at the start of winter (after all the leaves have fallen). It isn't just leaves though - bird mess can cause moss to grow on a roof and in the gutter, which can eventually build up and cause a blockage.

A blocked gutter will happen rather suddenly and can cause a lot of problems.

Shouldn't be too expensive; £50-70 for a mid terrace. Or buy a ladder and some rubber gloves....
  • CallejaCalleja Forumite
    183 posts
    Thanks both. No trees around which is probably how I've got away with it for 3 years, but I will get on to it this year. I'm a bit of wimp up ladders so I think it will be £70 well spent....
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could ask your neighbours who they use? Whomever you use, keep an eye on them to make sure they do a proper job.
  • smudger1964smudger1964 Forumite
    678 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    after you have had them cleaned you could put these in "or get someone to" then you would never need to pay out again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhOJBwCZEo
  • 27cool27cool Forumite
    267 posts
    Calleja wrote: »
    Thanks both. No trees around which is probably how I've got away with it for 3 years, but I will get on to it this year. I'm a bit of wimp up ladders so I think it will be £70 well spent....
    Some of my gutters have never been cleared since I built the house in 1977. It depends entirely on the proximity of trees. Some of the lower gutters have overflowed and at that point they were cleaned and nearby shrubs heavily pruned.
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're in a mid terrace it may not be worth getting them done, unless your neighbours get them done at the same time.
    Where are the down pipes ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you've got no problems, leave them alone.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • greenfacegreenface Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    do they need cleaning . your mid terrace put your phone on video make a selfie stick reach out your top window and have a nose .maybe alright
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • CallejaCalleja Forumite
    183 posts
    Ah OK, a few mixed opinions - thanks all!

I was thinking about asking my neighbours if they use anyone/have had them done. Maybe I will go down that route first.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support