building material cost for new bathroom

The room size is 2.5m x 1m.
I've agreed to pay £3000 labour charge to remove all the units from the bathroom, re-plaster walls, install floor to ceiling tiles, new floor tiles, install new door, install a new toilet, sink and shower tray with either a bi-fold or hinged door.

I've already bought the units, tiles, grouts, sealants, etc for the tilling work.

I was told the other building materials such as plaster boards, cement, waste pipes, other plumbing pipes, things needed to install 4 spot lights including the fittings and new extractor fan would come to £600 t0 £700. It sounds a lot to me considering the room size. Any advise would be welcome.

It is in the south, close to London.

Comments

• Lights alone will be close to £150 of that cost. Doesn't seem too far out.

Have you asked for a breakdown?
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • sam2015_2
    sam2015_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Lights alone will be close to £150 of that cost. Doesn't seem too far out.

Have you asked for a breakdown?

Not yet. The guy is on holiday.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We charge £1200-£1300

This is for a full strip and rebuild on a average 1.8x1.8m room

Thats for fully strip of walls, back to brick. Ceiling back to rafters, floor back to joists. You don't get much material now for your money especially if your trader is buying decent materials

Cheapy screw fix ip65 light £5, decent icage with bulb £15 .....one will last months before going rusty...

I wouldn't entertain customer supplied grouts and adhesives either unless it was what I specified .!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • sam2015_2
    sam2015_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    andyhop wrote: »
    We charge £1200-£1300

This is for a full strip and rebuild on a average 1.8x1.8m room

Is that for materials only?
    I bought the tiles and all tiling stuff from TopTiles, specified by the builders. They'd get the other stuff and charge me for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure