PG Student - Family Moving Abroad - Funding

Hi there,

I've got a year and a half left on my PhD funding, but my wife has been getting homesick and wants to move in advance (we've been planning to move for the past 4 years).

Her parents can put her and the kids up whilst I finish my PhD, but I'm wondering what options I have as a full time student (and part time lecturer) to boost my income a little more? I'm going to have to send some of my funding over, and so will be a little tight over the period.

I'm on private studentship of 13k pa, and allowed to work 20hrs of lecturing for £400 pm, though only during term-time. I've heard PG loans are now available? Any other options?

Kind regards,

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your best bet is to complete the PhD as soon as possible. If you take on more work and attempt to earn money, it will take longer to complete the PhD and that will place even more strain on your marriage.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The new postgraduate loans system that may be what you are referring to is only for Masters degrees.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't forget how much lower your living expenses will be here, particularly as you can downsize from a family house to a small flat.

Will your wife's parents be able to offer childcare so that she can get a job?
  • tatusmaru
    tatusmaru Posts: 27 Forumite
    Don't forget how much lower your living expenses will be here, particularly as you can downsize from a family house to a small flat.

Will your wife's parents be able to offer childcare so that she can get a job?

Yeah, I've estimated a drop in costs here by about £500 pm (I'd probably end up in a flat share), and my wife thinks that whilst staying at her parents house, she'll need £300-400 pm from me. It'll be a little less in costs, but child benefit and CTC will stop as soon as my wife and kids move. So in real terms we'd be about £300-400 pm less off. I can push for more hours at my uni, and given the circumstances they may accept. I can also freelance some work for some extra cash, but that's a roll of the dice.

My wife may be able to work a part-time job there, but her parents are quite elderly, and our kids can be a handful.
    Your best bet is to complete the PhD as soon as possible. If you take on more work and attempt to earn money, it will take longer to complete the PhD and that will place even more strain on your marriage.

It's not so much a strain on our marriage as it is just a strain overall. We've been planning to move for a while now, but my wife has started suffering from depression, as she misses her family, friends and culture back home. My PhD is quite flexible, but I've found myself spending more and more time comforting and helping my wife out, and so it's also having a knock-on effect on my PhD. She feels too isolated and alone here.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    tatusmaru wrote: »
    Yeah, I've estimated a drop in costs here by about £500 pm (I'd probably end up in a flat share), and my wife thinks that whilst staying at her parents house, she'll need £300-400 pm from me. It'll be a little less in costs, but child benefit and CTC will stop as soon as my wife and kids move. So in real terms we'd be about £300-400 pm less off. I can push for more hours at my uni, and given the circumstances they may accept. I can also freelance some work for some extra cash, but that's a roll of the dice.

My wife may be able to work a part-time job there, but her parents are quite elderly, and our kids can be a handful.

It's not so much a strain on our marriage as it is just a strain overall. We've been planning to move for a while now, but my wife has started suffering from depression, as she misses her family, friends and culture back home. My PhD is quite flexible, but I've found myself spending more and more time comforting and helping my wife out, and so it's also having a knock-on effect on my PhD. She feels too isolated and alone here.

If she's moving to another EU country, you won't lose CTC. Also, presumably qualify for the CB equivalent in her own country.
  • tatusmaru
    tatusmaru Posts: 27 Forumite
    If she's moving to another EU country, you won't lose CTC. Also, presumably qualify for the CB equivalent in her own country.

Her home country is Japan, so it's a little more difficult. I asked her for a few more details on how things would work in Japan, like CB etc. She would be able to work part-time, as our children would be able to attend nursery/school (though for a fee). There is also the equivalent of CB in Japan - it's not quite as much as over here, but it still takes our finances back towards a more reasonable number.

Perhaps I'm worrying too much?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport