Draconion Deed of Guarantee

Options
My Daughter is about to start university. She will be sharing a rented house with 3 others.

I have been asked by the landlords agent to sign a deed of guarantee with unlimited liability (for unpaid rent, damage and any breech of the million gotchas in the AST) for not only my daughters rent but those of the other 3.

Is this normal? Can I counter this? I would rather pay my daughters rent for the year upfront to avoid sign this garbage.

Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's pretty normal for tenancy agreements to make all of the tenants liable for the full amount of the rent (joint and several liability), so that the LL can, if necessary, pursue whichever of them they think is most likely to pay up. I'd imagine that the guarantor would be required to cover that full amount too.

If the LL will accept payment in advance and set up a separate TA for your daughter that will be a way round it, but don't be surprised if they won't.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,991 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Duplicate thread to the one on the housing board, that contains more opinions:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5507688
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    No it's not normal. I am guarantor for my daughter only. She is married (they are both students), and my son in laws mum is his guarantor :)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    inkie wrote: »
    No it's not normal. I am guarantor for my daughter only. She is married (they are both students), and my son in laws mum is his guarantor :)

It's perfectly normal. Your single example doesn't outweigh the many counter examples you'll find in the other thread and throughout the Housing board.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please put yourself in the shoes of the Landlord.
    He/she is Letting 4/5/6/8/10 students who could be anything from 18 to 60 years of age.
    Most have little if any credit history and you are handing the keys to a £200/300/500K property.
    The guarantor form from the RLA makes the guarantor liable for any damage, unpaid rent etc.
    It would be a very stupid Landlord who did not have Good Buildings Insurance but you cannot cover for criminal damage done by your tenants.
    Having All the parents sign guarantor forms gives you some protection should the worst happen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure