Moving Shares into an ISA

Options
I have a number of shares spread across a good range of companies after being a member of Motley Fool Share Champion for a few years. Some up, some down, but overall have returned a 28% profit + dividends over the course of 5 years.

They were bought via SVS Trading and now coming to sell them, it would cost me a fair few £s given the spread of companies and the individual transaction fees.

I wondered if there were any companies I could transfer them to, and put them in a share ISA free of charge? SVS can do it, but they say they'd need to sell and re-buy them which wouldn't make economic sense.
:j Only just realised there is an IGNORE button to filter out narcissistic trolls :j

Comments

• Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2016 at 4:17PM
    Options
    I have a number of shares spread across a good range of companies after being a member of Motley Fool Share Champion for a few years. Some up, some down, but overall have returned a 28% profit + dividends over the course of 5 years.

They were bought via SVS Trading and now coming to sell them, it would cost me a fair few £s given the spread of companies and the individual transaction fees.

I wondered if there were any companies I could transfer them to, and put them in a share ISA free of charge? SVS can do it, but they say they'd need to sell and re-buy them which wouldn't make economic sense.
    All brokers would need to sell and rebuy. You can't just transfer and the main cost would normally be the spread and SDRT rather than SVS's low dealing rates. Some brokers do a special 'bed and ISA' deal whereby they charge for the buy only and not the sale. HL are an example bed-isa-sipp but their rates are double those of SVS and you would have to pay the transfer out fee to SVS on top. Make sure you'd get a sufficient gain taking into account CGT and tax allowances on divis before you do it.
  • JackRussell
    JackRussell Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I've been offered one solution by My Wealth after they came in to our offices a while back, where they said they'd cover all charges if I moved to them along with a few other investments. Problem is they're not the cheapest hence why I thought I'd look around before committing.

Ta for advice :beer:
    :j Only just realised there is an IGNORE button to filter out narcissistic trolls :j
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HL often have a cashback deal an bit like that and can be quite generous but then they put bars on the windows to keep you in unless you cough up exorbitant transfer out and closure fees - on top of top end trading fees. Can be worth it if you have an account already for non-ISA holdings and can just sell rather than pay ISA transfer fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure