PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mrs_motivated
    Options
    Just checking in to report a £2 spend on 3 tins of condensed soup to be used for pie fillings, I only need one this week, but as they were on offer I thought I may as well get an extra 2 for the store cupboard.

so thats me checking in at £158/£420
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • pajama
    pajama Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Shopping done this morning and a spend of £8.96 on a stock up of dog salmon chews and a couple of packet of reduced crisps. Then onto my favourite shop Aldi and spent £42.96.

Loving the lovely different small squashes they have in at the moment. Bought two to roast with butter, herbs and garlic then mash in some feta when cooked.

Finished off at MrT and spent £11.17. Need to visit local butcher tomorrow for a chicken kiev and some sausages so that should not be too much of a spend.
    Grocery Challenge - Sept £205.56/£350.00

• wintersunshine22
    Options
    NSD for me & I don't plan to go near a shop until Friday. Weekends tend to be the challenge as pop in for one item and buy a basket full :D
    Out of debt, out of danger - Joan Jonker
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just checking in to report a £2 spend on 3 tins of condensed soup to be used for pie fillings, I only need one this week, but as they were on offer I thought I may as well get an extra 2 for the store cupboard.

so thats me checking in at £158/£420

Your post reminds me of my Mum's chicken pie filling -

Leftover roast chicken, usually just the pickings off the carcass and the wing meat, maybe a drumstick or two, with a tin of campbell's condensed chicken soup and a tin of sweetcorn, all mixed up it make a wonderful quick pie filling - a real family favourite in our house to this day.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Had a few spends this week, need to tot up receipts. Slowly57 - thanks for the my supermarket tip. Morrie's do do pecorino cheese just couldn't find it on the day I wrote about it, but did find if the next day.

However, the whole recipe was a disaster. We will maybe try it again but use smaller measurements for the ingredients as we had z lot left over & tasted a bit too eggy...but the main thing is that we tried & thus one didn't work out. Will try it again but probably change bits of it.

Have a good evening all.
    SIL
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    I have to report some sad news. I went out to my outside freezer on Thursday, to get something for dinner and to refill the inside freezer that I'd just turfed rank-looking stuff from, only to find that the door was open and the stuff had defrosted. :(:(:( The freezer is as tall as me, with six shelves full of hm soups, batch cooked meals, ys bargains, etc etc etc. I had to walk away and let dp deal with it, otherwise I'd have cried!

I have decided to leave it off for now, and I'll turn it on when/if I buy some Christmas ys meat bargains.

So, I now have my tiny indoor freezer, with one shelf for bread, fruit and veg, one for meat, and one for meals and puddings.

It now means that I'm limited as to ys shopping, but what I do have, is good stuff. Bit of careful planning required from now on, I think!

Made a cottage pie for dinner tonight; did the three of us for dinner, and I have two lunch portions for tom and thurs. I'm determined to not buy lunch out this year!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • BeTheChange
    Options
    Oh PG I could cry for you :(

£2 spend for me today on milk and some sweets for DD.
    Debt @ Sept '16 = £51804 Oct '16= £51,095 1.37% paid off
    Oct grocery challenge = £229.05/£250
    Oct AFD challenge = 20/31
    Oct NSD = 13/18
    Emergency Fund member #209 = 376/1000
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a mini spend, avocado, beetroot, carrots, cherry tomatoes, some strawberry cider and a daiquiri. I have updated sig.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ... I went out to my outside freezer on Thursday, .. only to find that the door was open and the stuff had defrosted. :(:(:(
    PG x
    Oh dear - I'm soo sorry to hear that. I know it can be devastating as my freezer gave up the ghost earlier in the year. Fortunately, it was a chest freezer and I managed to salvage about half of the stuff in there as still frozen in the middle. If you're like me, and rely on it for stocking up bargains and batch-baking, I'm sure you'll soon want another one. BTW, chest freezers tend to be more reliable and cheaper to run ;)

Delivery today from Mr T was £26.74 of grocery products and used another £5 MOC :j

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    £5 Spent today on foil containers and coffee
    All that clutter used to be money