Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 May 2017 at 11:10AM
    Options
    Just checked our figures, we are definitely on target to have the the large mortgage covered in savings by Jan 2018, it is not likely to come forward much more unless we have a lot of surplus money to put into savings or OP between now and then. I think Mr AJM is only saving money into his S&S ISA at the moment anyway.

We should have our new phone and broadband up and running today. I was away all last week so forgot we didn't have broadband, logged on when I got back last night and was happily unsing it until I was quizzed by Mr AJM. He thought I was using my phone as a hotspot, it looks like we may never have had the broadband stopped as I was using the house supply!

Next job is to check the renewal price for my car insurance as it is due on 29th. The quote from my previous company seems quite competitive, will do this in a little while to check. I have money saved for this and it currently looks like I will have £55 left over to send to savings. I don't seem to have spent much of my own money this month with being away so much so may have an extra £200 on top of this for my savings too :D

Things seem to be going rather well money wise, I can't help but think I have missed something somewhere and we will find a huge outlay around the corner!
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Car insurance renewal quote is the cheapest by far and it is an auto-renew policy which makes my life even easier. Nothing left to price check at the moment, reassuring to know we are on the best deal for everything.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Mr AJM had a job interview on Tuesday to move from classroom music teacher to a travelling around the schools music teacher and today he found out he got the job. We are hoping this is the start of him being less stressed out at work. I have suggested we use the start date of this to readdress our work life balance an make sure that our priorities are each other and our home life.

One of my biggest work stresses should be over by the end of next week. I have a very busy time over the next 5 weeks with a lovely Thailand holiday to look forward to at the end of it and that marks the end of Mr AJM's current job before the summer holidays :j
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congrats to Mr AJM :T:T:T
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • ajmoney
    Options
    My favourite time of the month has been and gone, payday yesterday and money shuffle day today :j

I have updated my spreadsheets (I think they are much more basic than most people's on here), made my OP and moved money about between savings accounts. I am expecting to make another OP mid-month and should have some extra money to move into savings by the end of the month.

I may be a little excited, I added our rough savings figure (my exact amount and Mr AJM's total for last month) and it shows we should have enough money to may the large mortgage off in November this year, I can't quite believe it :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j It won't actually be paid until December when our regular savings accounts mature. I also expect the date to get closer as more savings are added and we have extra small OPs which should mean we have a little buffer in our savings when the time comes. I can't believe that we first discussed this as an option in October and expected it to take 2 years, within a year of it we could possibly achieve it.

It will be an exciting time of re-jigging our monthly plans once the large mortgage has gone while making decisions on whether to keep making the payments we are to get rid of the small mortgage earlier (Mar 2020) or go with a slightly slower plan (Sept 2021) and build more of a savings buffer.

I am working locally to home today so have 5 nights in a row at home :D I haven't done this for 2 months so am going to enjoy every minute of it!
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Well done ajmoney, achieving your aim in half the expected time will be a truly excellent result! :D
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I have made the decision not to share the updated mortgage news with Mr AJM until we have the money saved up which is likely to be September. At that point we can start to discuss what we are going to do, seek advice if required and continue to bolster our savings so we aren't left with nothing. The problem is, the excitment is killing me so I may have to put lots on here and share it with you guys until the time is right (if I last that long it will be a miracle).

I met up with a friend I used to work with for a cuppa this afternoon and had a lovely catch up. She has started a new career and it was great to share her enthusiasm.

I have had a very productive day and am hoping to get involved in a local archaeological dig tomorrow.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I nearly let the cat out of the bag last night, MR AJM was saying how nice it would be to get a windfall so we can pay off the mortgage and the look on my face nearly gave me away. It would be nice to magically get the money to clear all of it without losing our savings but where would the challenge be in that? We are currently paying around £1350 a month in standard payments and OPs on both mortgages so will see a massive difference immediately when they have both gone.

Unfortunately my stress levels are back up. I had got in touch with one of our sponsors of an event next week to ask a couple of questions, he got back to me last night but I missed the call so need to deal with it in a little while when I feel that it is an acceptable time to call. My questions will probably end up giving me more work to do and means I will have to pop into the local office this morning to do a bit of salvaging, hopefully everything is salvageable! It is going to put off the time I can get to the archaeological dig as I should have arrived there by now, hopefully I may still be able to get involved.

I also have a long term project at work that is coming to a head at the moment, I keep panicking that it is all going to go horribly wrong next week and ended up lying awake thinking about it last night. The good thing is all these issues should be ok/have resolved themselves by Wednesday next week.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Back at work now until Friday, those 5 days seemed to fly by. My stress levels have eased a bit and after tomorrow night should pretty much go away.

We started getting organised this weekend and have sorted through our paperwork, bought a filing cabinet as our boxes were falling apart and have shredded A LOT! Mr AJM has continued since I left home this afternoon so we should nearly be there. I could definitely still get rid of some of my stuff, for example I have every single one of my pay statements since I started my job 17 years ago :eek:
    This has helped some way to starting to organise our music room. We have a little way still to go, once we have worked out how to store some of the stuff and where to put all the instruments we can buy some storage and should be done in that room.

The next and slightly easier job will be going through all the wardrobes in the house and hopefully won't take as long as the paperwork.

I managed to keep the lid on my mortgage news, looking forward to when I can tell Mr AJM though as the next few months are going to feel like forever!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Thought I should check in to my diary. I have been reading everyone elses but don't seem to find the time to post, plus I don't feel mine is particularly dynamic or interesting.

This month seems to be going really slowly. I am looking forward to the next money shuffle to see how our quest for mortgage freedom is progressing but until the political situation settles my S&S ISA won't stabilise, we should still be on target to pay off our larger mortgage at the end of the year though.

9 days until quite a big event at work which is stressing me out and 11 days until we go on holiday to Thailand. We have quite a lot to do this weekend to get ready for both events as we don't have much time mid-week to get organised. This also isn't helped by Mr AJM leaving his current job in 7 days. I am going to the school today to help start ferrying stuff home, the plan is it should all be here by the end of Wednesday so the last day can be enjoyable for him.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure