Selling your soul to the devil

Options

Comments

• Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options
    maggie777 wrote: »
    After reading this post I was curious so went to the page and although she didn't win the competition - the company, very kindly of them, have said 'you didn't win the competition, but please email ???????? address + dress size and we'll see what we can do'

This is encouraging the 'sob stories' fake or not.

Too right it's encouraging sob stories. I think I may have to take a break from social media again :(
    2018 wins-12wins
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have to remember that we see the same crap on hundreds of pages whilst the competition provider only sees what is on their own page. I reckon any company that runs comps regularly will start to see through the crap eventually though. Give it time.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 1:01AM
    Options
    Not a criticism, but just an observation......

I do wonder if some of the folks entering this comp actual realise they are seeming older than they (possibly, in some cases) are? Lots of posts by people saying they are too old to have been able to read books by Jacqueline Wilson, but their 12/9/7/5 year old does. Jaqueline Wilson has been publishing children's books since at least 1970, even my aunt, who is 55 remembers them! To be fair, she didn't reach much wider popularity until the mid-1980s I think, but that would still make it possible for plenty of 35-45 year olds to have at least had the possibility of reading her books (and of course anyone younger).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605037

A quote "Sadly I'm too old to have read any Jacqueline Wilson when I was a child. An avid reader though, I really wish she had been around in the 70s."
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hdh74 wrote: »
    We have to remember that we see the same crap on hundreds of pages whilst the competition provider only sees what is on their own page. I reckon any company that runs comps regularly will start to see through the crap eventually though. Give it time.

Hopefully it will start sooner rather than later. It's coming up to Mother's Day. Let's keep a look out for some 'original stuff' this year ;)
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • forgetthat
    forgetthat Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    hdh74 wrote: »
    This one has really pulled in the sob stories. And it's a fake page anyway which is kind of apt. https://www.facebook.com/1470968246502249/photos/a.1470987529833654.1073741831.1470968246502249/1817309058534831/?type=3&theater

And hee hee at this one:

I would love to win this because I have had a terrible life. At the age of 4 I was sold into slavery and forced to work as a chimney sweep. I had to climb up 200 foot industrial chimneys to scrub them clean. At the age of 11 I was too big for the chimneys so was sold on to a mining company, I spent 23 hours a day in the mines with no light or tools and had to dig the coal out with my bare hands. At the age of 16 I managed to escape to Peru, but unfortunately caught by rebels and forced to fight in their civil war. In my first battle I got shot 16 times and fell into a river barely alive and washed out to sea. I got "saved" by fisherman who patched me up. They forced me to work on their trawler in exchange for saving my life. After 32 years I managed to escape by jumping overboard. I now live in Newport, which is the worst thing ever to of happened to me. So yeah I deserve to win!

Think i'll copy and paste that one for a while ;)
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a criticism, but just an observation......

I do wonder if some of the folks entering this comp actual realise they are seeming older than they (possibly, in some cases) are? Lots of posts by people saying they are too old to have been able to read books by Jacqueline Wilson, but their 12/9/7/5 year old does. Jaqueline Wilson has been publishing children's books since at least 1970, even my aunt, who is 55 remembers them! To be fair, she didn't reach much wider popularity until the mid-1980s I think, but that would still make it possible for plenty of 35-45 year olds to have at least had the possibility of reading her books (and of course anyone younger).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605037

A quote "Sadly I'm too old to have read any Jacqueline Wilson when I was a child. An avid reader though, I really wish she had been around in the 70s."

:rotfl: Lots of misunderstandings here too https://www.facebook.com/ThePresentFinder/photos/a.166444870048342.46043.113095148716648/1787667721259374/?type=3&theater

The books are poking fun, so in an entirely different nature to the originals!
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • Blueyez
    Options
    Sob stories have migrated over to instagram now!:eek: Superdrug are running one that closes at 5PM "Why your mum deserves to win"
    2018 wins-12wins
  • Skilos
    Skilos Posts: 1,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 March 2017 at 7:37PM
    Options
    ^ To be fair, I think the ones like 'Tell us why you/your mum deserve to win' are asking for sob stories, even if it's a random draw.
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,471 Forumite
    Options
    Just seen this as a Mum story I really hope the Mum isn't on facebook

" to the time where she got so drunk on holiday that she wet herself and accidentally smashed up a light in the hotel room which caused a power cut �� My mum is definitely a character!"
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • Blueyez
    Options
    Moneybot wrote: »
    Just seen this as a Mum story I really hope the Mum isn't on facebook

" to the time where she got so drunk on holiday that she wet herself and accidentally smashed up a light in the hotel room which caused a power cut �� My mum is definitely a character!"

Oh Lord! :eek:
    2018 wins-12wins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family