Turning a jumper into a cardigan

Options
nuttywoman
nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
I`ve got a lovely jumper in my wardrobe that has never been worn and now I`ve lost a load of weight I fancy turning it into a cardy .
I thought of using a thin strip of iron on interfacing down the middle so it keeps its shape while I cut the centre and attach hemming tape so it won`t go all wonky .
Has anyone done this method or what method have others used
Thank you xx

Comments

• CUL8R
    CUL8R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest a row of wide 3 step zigzag on either side of centre to hold interfacing before cutting as it may not stick so well on knit/stretch fabric. Good luck with your project.
    CUL8R
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    I'd look on youtube for a video on how to do steeking if i were you. I know it's typically used to make openings after a piece is made in one instead of several pieces, But it's also a good way to turn a solid jumper into a cardi. Quite easily done, but very scary as you get the feeling you're doing something very risky.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please would you post before and after photos? I can't even begin to imagine being able to do something like that. (I am not at all practical).
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure