Oculus Rift won't let me return goods

Options
CPU1
CPU1 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 31 July 2016 at 11:31AM in Techie Stuff
Hi All,

On Tuesday 26th July I received an Oculus Rift from Oculus which I bought with my credit card. I tried it out and it made me feel too nauseous so I contacted them to arrange to send it back and get a refund.

"Unfortunately the Occulus Rift makes me very nauseous after short periods of play, and it gets worse over time after using it. I have only used it for a number of hours. I would like to return my device for a full refund under the UK Distance Selling Regulations.

Please send me a returns address so that I can send the device back to you.

Best Regards,"

They Replied:

"We at Oculus take health and safety very seriously, and suggest that you reach out to a doctor if your discomfort continues.

While we per our terms of service we do not provide refunds, I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot to possible find some more comfortable content.

Can you share the content you've played and the approximate duration?

Thanks so much,"

This went back and forth and I eventually mentioned the Consumer Contracts regulation.

I bought it with a Credit Card so I am going to contact my bank. I have also contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Under the regulation I am entitled to a refund as I bought it online and it's been less than 14 days. I've only used the product for a short time to get the experience. If they won't accept the product what can I do!? How can a retailer just flat out ignore Consumer Contracts regulation!?

Comments

• Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you buy from Oculus themselves? If so (unless I missed something) it's a US site, therefore DSR will not apply
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CPU1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

On Tuesday 26th July I received an Oculus Rift from Oculus which I bought with my credit card. I tried it out and it made me feel too nauseous so I contacted them to arrange to send it back and get a refund.

"Unfortunately the Occulus Rift makes me very nauseous after short periods of play, and it gets worse over time after using it. I have only used it for a number of hours. I would like to return my device for a full refund under the UK Distance Selling Regulations.

Please send me a returns address so that I can send the device back to you.

Best Regards,"

They Replied:

"We at Oculus take health and safety very seriously, and suggest that you reach out to a doctor if your discomfort continues.

While we per our terms of service we do not provide refunds, I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot to possible find some more comfortable content.

Can you share the content you've played and the approximate duration?

Thanks so much,"

This went back and forth and I eventually mentioned the Consumer Contracts regulation.

I bought it with a Credit Card so I am going to contact my bank. I have also contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Under the regulation I am entitled to a refund as I bought it online and it's been less than 14 days. I've only used the product for a short time to get the experience. If they won't accept the product what can I do!? How can a retailer just flat out ignore Consumer Contracts regulation!?
    As Oculus operates under US law
    from their T&Cs
    19.1 Oculus is based in the United States and our Services are subject to U.S. law. We make no representations or warranties that the Services are appropriate or available for use in other locations.
    UK Distance Selling and Consumer laws do not apply.

As there is no fault with the device I fail to see how your CC company will entertain a S75.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    as an FYI - Distance selling regulations haven't applied since 2014. It's now the 'Consumer Contracts Regulations' now.

Unfortunately you won't have these rights when purchasing from abroad, especially outside the EU.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Pedant-alert ... The "Consumer Contracts Regulations" are actually the "Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013", they came into force on 13 June 2014 and superseded the DSRs. :)

Then there's the Consumer Rights Act which came into force in 2015 and superseded SOGA.

Neither of these change the basic fact that UK legislation doesn't apply for purchases from a USA vendor. Perhaps contact the Better Business Bureau for info?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the device, it just doesn't suit you, and it's a common thing that you would have read about when researching an expensive VR headset. A bit like varifocals and bifocals I guess, some people just don't get on with one or the other, or both.
    Use for up to 30 mins at a time or it just doesn't suit you. Try before you buy...
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    you might just have to take a financial hit and sell it on.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ill refund you £50?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts